• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

How about video capturing the property

Status
Not open for further replies.

soman somu

Freshman Member
Hi everybody, does anybody videocapturing the house during appraisal in Digicamcoders, are u providing the clippings to client, how their reaction, is it worth, how much it cost

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
I frequently video a walk through if there is anything unusual. I still photo graph it and will do a swing showing the condition in context of what the rest of the place is like. I copy the videos and still to cd as part of my work file. I DO NOT share them with LO's or others. They are for my benefit to review should I ever have to testify.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
For a large home or unique properties, I use digital photos. I seldom use video unless it is truly necessary to accurately show the property.

Roger

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
We purchased a sony digital video camera back in the early 90s....proved to be too awkward. This was back in the days of the old DC40 Kodak....come to think of it, still have one of those around somewhere????

Could be a good excuse to buy a nice video camera for other uses..wink, wink. Seriously, with the quality of digital cameras these days who would want to mess with video?

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
:lol: :lol:

Mike, I bet 'Our Sony' might even be the same Model!!

We had the same DC40, why not.

I have found the video cam to be useful when
1. a fairly high end REO house is REALLY torn up, as the running commentary along with room sweeps tells far more for my file than stills, and provides better back up incase of a later 'professional difference of opinion' with the client :roll: !

2. On one or two high end homes where I want to catch the same sweeping views, but don't get the chance to do the full running pro/CON commentary if a seller is hanging over my shoulder. I CAN however focus a few seconds extra on 'con' features without tipping off the offendable seller :wink: !

The old memory box can use the back-up on occasion, and more importantly - for the file!

(Also useful in divorce cases)

That said I haven't pulled it out in the past 12 months... maybe it is time to quit paying county property biz taxes on the thing...

George W Dodd

Professional Status
State
Virginia
Excellent question, and some good responses too. I have to agree mostly about using video in unusual situations. Did one last month on a propery that was disgusting on the interior. I didn't include the tape with the report at the time. The report noted siginifcant problems with the property and included a comment about the "it is assumed that the carpet beneath the debris is in as bad of condition as those areas visible and would require replacement". An out of town LO called (borrower tried several mortgage companies), raising hell that I couldn't make an assumption like that without seeing the floors and that since I made $15,000 condition ajustment on the comparables, why couldn't the rating be changed from poor to average???. So I sent him a CD copy of part of the video, never heard back.

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Maybe I now have an excuse to get a digital video cam. :lol:
Could be helpful in certain areas where you're not sure which house is the comp and/or don't want to or can't stop and sit there looking for a house number. You know a stealth cam for those "funky" neighborhoods. :roll:

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Mike

Get a new video if nothing more than to capture those big fish we catch.

-----

I have never found that I would want a video to tell the story about a property. If I get to a property that has problems, it is just click-click-click with the digital camera. I can take 1580 pictures with my 128mg compact flash card. That should give me enough evidence. There have been houses where I've taken 35 or so pictures.

They show me later what I want to see and provide good evidence of what I saw. Digital cameras are enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks