• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How do I avoid Identity Theft when sending my license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VSappraisal

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
What is the best method to avoid identity theft when sending clients my license? For example: I worked for an appraiser who stuck a note on his license before he sent it out to anyone. I forgot what he wrote on the note. What is the best wording to attach to my license or method to avoid anyone stealing my license and identity?

icisic7

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I black out the audit number (found on the lower left side of the license). I don't think that will stop anyone who is determined to steal your identity, though.

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
The best way to avoid identity theft is not sending your license, refer them to your state and ACS web links.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
What is the best method to avoid identity theft when sending clients my license? For example: I worked for an appraiser who stuck a note on his license before he sent it out to anyone. I forgot what he wrote on the note. What is the best wording to attach to my license or method to avoid anyone stealing my license and identity?

I doubt if there is a perfect solution, or answer, to what you ask, but I do this:

In heavy black ink, I print words such as this: "For use by XYZ Mtg. Co. regarding the appraisal of 1234 Main St., Anytown, IL" across sections of the license (but not covering my license #).

I, too, will be interested to learn what others might be doing.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I can pull any appraiser's license number and data off of ASC site, and steal the appraisal identity in just a few minutes. Try doing a Google search for appraisal licenses. You'll find actual posted licenses. Grab one of these, Photoshop it, and you've got a valid-appearing license.

Sorry. You can't do it. Just the facts.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
The crooks get a two-fer in North Carolina. The State requires us to sign our license.

Brad Ellis

Professional Status
State
California
VS,

The state of Califormia offers specific advice to NOT send your license to anyone.

I'd not include it in a report, in a submission for placement on a list, etc.

If one is licensed, their license number appears on the ASC site. Anyone can go get that and co-opt your identity and it cannot be changed (per the former ASC head) due to the FOIA.

So, print out your ASC record if you like and send/attach that. It is already in the public domain.

I am aware that many- perhaps most- clients still ask for a license copy. We still do as well but will accept the ASC printout (or we can go get that). We just have not re-written the policy yet.

Now witholding the license copy is really not a big deal. It does not contain your signature (at least not on any I've seen) and there is really no important info in it that does not appear on the ASC site, so witholding it does not really protect you at all.

True copies of your work, properly executed secure digital signatures, etc. is your better defense.

Brad

Brad

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Maryland also requires the licensee to sign their license, so copies of ones license would also show your signature...

KinIL

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Illinois
I do the same as Lee; I open a duplicate and write on it in partially transparent text (I would assume this is the most difficult to clear out). Although, it's unfortunate but quite likely that someone could white out the text with a big white block, and write whatever they feel, and most banks wouldn't say a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks