• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How do much appraisers earn? A Realtor wants to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I like this post. It livened the group up. That Realtor must of heard of the secret clique of appraisers making millions and keeping all the money to ourselves. After all, we don't want any intruders in our hidden society.

New response: I was thinking of becoming a Realtor, I heard you guys make 10 to 20 times what we do on each sale. What a country!

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
To be honest, I make more as an appraiser than I did as a real estate broker. But do you know what?

I work harder at it then I ever did as a broker!

This is one of the most demanding jobs I have ever had, day in and day out. And you know what?

I love it more than any job I ever had except driving ships when I was in the Navy.

How much do I make? Enough. But I work damn hard and smart for every penny of it. And you know what?

If I worked this hard at being a Broker, I'd make a lot of money at that also.

The lesson this person needs to learn is that if you want to be successful at something, you work hard at it. Period! End of motivation speech.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Heh, look, the money is really no big deal.....which is why I stop at $150K around the middle of October and coast through the end of the year. If we all start revealing how good it is, then this person will really want in....and you know what that means ? ......somebody is going to have to show them the "secret handshake" ! Come on guys and girls, that's why we call it "secret", remember ?

Paul Ness MAI

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
ANSWER: Not Enough!

After certification, from 1990 until 1994, FIRREA stood for "Finally I'm a Rich Real Estate Appraiser". But a lot of newbies jumped into the business, and then Uncle Sam came out with Summary and Restricted appraisals in 1994.....and the rest is history....

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
>>George Dodd said "Appraisers have to keep E&O insurance 5 years"<<

Try forever. I am being sued for an appraisal that I did in 1996, well over 5 years ago. Associated with the suit is another property that I appraised 7 years ago and that was two years before the guy who is suing me even bought it, yet he is suing in Federal court claiming I am in cohoots with poultry company to defraud HIM when I did not even know his name at that time.
ter

B

Bemis Pownall

How do much appraisers earn? A Realtor wants to know

not enough
and really not enough to deal with REALTORS!(in most cases)
Had one want to hold the end of my tape the other day, gee what a guy!
"No thanks" I do this for a living I can manage, besides if you start talking and I make a mistake an dhave to re-measure are you going to pay the trip charge?"

jtrotta

I think we tell em the truth; in excess of $500,000 if we work 14 hour days; over $750,000 if we work 18 hour days; and if we choose to work 24/7 well over a million, hell man, we're the cats *** of the long green.

Now that you know what we make and someone hear revealed we have a secret handshake, run to your nearest appraisal school and sign up, this business is a "cake walk" - try & get in :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, one last thing, after the 24/7 - three week hyper days - the cemetary plot is Free 8O :lol: :lol:

8)

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
State
Montana
Hey Paul,

Nice post!

In the latter 70's and first half of the 80's this business was absolutely fabulous. ...And in terms of money, I made as much dough as attorneys.

Things have changed. And not all as a result of FIRREA--it is going to be interesting to see the outcome of the current FIRREA "REVIEW" however.

Verne Hebert

BarbaraNJ

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
We all missed what the Realtor saw. 8O 8O

About 4 AM, just after the infomercial about buying real estate with NO money down, there must have been a New infomercial about the JOYS of real estate APPRAISING. :!:

It showed a man in his late 20's (next version has a woman) standing on a 100' yacht surrounded by women in bikinis with a glass of champagne and a great big smile and a Rolls and a Corvette parked at the dock. He tells the audience that in FIVE SHORT YEARS as a real estate appraiser he went from welfare to owning all that we see on the screen and now he is RETIRED and, "ALL OF THIS CAN BE YOURS TOO"

Just buy his book and his video for $495.99.

If the Realtor still wants to be an appraiser for the money, I have a book to sell.

Oh, and by the way:

The Harder I Work, The Luckier I Get

:? 8O

Isn't that how we ALL got into the business ????

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I've got a confession.
I'm astounded by how many of you don't like realtors.
I swear it....in four years of appraising I've only met about four of them who were idiots, which is pretty good considering the hundreds that I've met. I'm not a number hitter either (in case that's what you're thinking) and I've never had any of them twist my arm or call me names. They're always very nice and helpful. Even had one call me the other day from his vacation in Hawaii to give a reply on a couple of questions about a comp that he sold six months ago.
Either I'm very lucky or the realtors in my area are good professional businesspeople.
Whatever the case, I hope that it stays that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks