• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How do much appraisers earn? A Realtor wants to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2002
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Dee Dee;

Don't get the wrong idea and let us please use the proper words. It is “Realtor” with a capital “R”.

I am a Realtor. I am also an appraiser.

Too many people use the term Realtor when what they mean is real estate broker or salesperson.

I don't dislike Realtors. If I did, I would not be one.

What I dislike are incompetent brokers and incompetent sales people.

Please note the difference.
 

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2002
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Point taken, Richard.
Now I want to know why I'm just an appraiser, not an Appraiser. :( :lol:
 

Blue1

Elite Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2002
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Dee Dee,

As with any profession, there are some good and usually only a few bad apples. Unfortuantely, the bad apples tend to have a bigger influence the the good ones. Thanks for reminding me that most of the Realtors I deal with are good folks.

Richard,

O.K. what's the diffrence in the capital "R?" (sorry to be ignorant)
 

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2002
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Realtor is a copyrighted name taken by members of the National ***'n of Realtors who subscribe to the Code of Ethics, etc. It is not a licensed name such a broker or sales person. Since it is a copyrighted name, the holder of the copyright specifies how it is written and spelled. The font, capital R, etc. belong to the organization. It is the same a Kleenex, which is a copyrighted brand name for tissue.

What I'm saying is there is no such thing as a licensed Realtor because no state licenses them. They license brokers and sales people, some of whom may incidentally be Realtors.

Realtors have done too good a job in getting their name out and now it is synonymous with real estate agents.
 

Blue1

Elite Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2002
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Richard,

Thanks for the education...

Speaking of real estate sales people, I heard a broker (I think he's also a Realtor) on the radio this morning saying that 20% of the sales peple in my area do 80% of the business and that the other 80% make about $14,000 a year. Is that generally true in most areas?
 

graindart

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2002
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Montana
....and the 20% pay for all of the government benefits that the remaining 80% need because they're considered poor.....so after all is said and done, everyone makes the same exact amount.....or so the Democrats would like :D

Oops, did I say that with my outside voice? 8O
 

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2002
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Blue,
That ratio is probably about right in my area.
Just a handful of people seem to dominate the market, bringing in a large number of sellers and buyers who choose them for name recognition and presumably because they get the job done right.
 

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2002
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
That old 20/80% saying goes back a long way. I first heard it in 1975. Over the years it has been my experience that this saying is very close to being true.

As for the $14,000, that could also be true. Think of all of the part-timers out there. You only have to sell or have listings that sell with a volume of about $800,000 in order to make $14,000. One good sale a quarter and bingo!, you are there.

Of course I'm dating myself but I can remember when the Million-Dollar Club meant you busted your behind for that year. When I started selling real estate in Kalamazoo in 1975 (Way back in the year ‘75’), the average selling price of a house was $17,500. If you sold only "average" houses then, you would have to sell about 57 in one year to break a million. Now I'm appraising 2 car garages that are worth more than those houses used to average.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com
Top

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks