• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How Do You Count The Rooms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellow Fin

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Hi,

I went to the subject last Friday and found it has an addition, 500 SF, with a seperate sliding door.
The county record shows 3BD/2BATH, but it has an extra 2 BD/1BATH. It is all done by a permit and I took digital photos of the paper.

The addition was done in 1992, but the county record doesn't tell about it and the zoning code is R1B6.

Shall I count is as 5BD/3BATH?

Another problem is an extra kitchen. The owner built the kitchen in the addition without a permit and I can tell the difference on the schematic. The addition supposed to be built as one unit with an orginal house, but the owner put the wall between the addition & the original house, and added the kitchen by himself.

All the jobs are done professionally, 7' high ceiling, heating systems, windows,,,,,

How do you mention this on the comment?
My comps are all 3BD/2BATHs. Shall I go out there to find 5 BD/3BATH for comps or it is not necessary?

<Daniel>

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Are you sure this isn't a duplex? Kinda sounds like one to me.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Probably a mother-in-law suite. I see these things all over. Just explain what you've got, known permits and possible issues, and truck on.

As to how to count it, if it is functionally and physically equal, then its a 5/3. The kitchen would be a superadequacy. The net effect is no additional value for the second kitchen. HOWEVER, depending on your market, the home may command a premium for the mother-in-law suite.

Looks like additional market research is needed. :D

Roger

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I concur...sure sounds like a "mother-in-law' apartment. Just explain what you found and call it as you see it.....5/3.

Yellow Fin

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
Thank you, everybody!

I realize that real world is quite different than the text book, but it is fun to deal with it.

<Daniel>

Steve Wyrick

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Sounds like a 3/2 with a mother-law house (suite). 7' ceiling, I thought 8' were typical for California?

Big question I would have to call this a 5/3 is how the does the house flow to foot traffic and with the additional kitchen it in my mind would not flow like a 5/3 house.

Daniel you are getting and education. How did the condo go.

Yellow Fin

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
Hi, Steve

It went well. And.....,Now I understand why we should charge more for condos. It was a headache to call HOA and they sometimes didn't answer the phone. I had another condo assignment that I went to HOA office directly to get the information. I made it anyway.

The house price is keep going up here in Bay Area and a lot of first home buyers are buying condos/town houses. I got three more condos last week and one SFH. It was a little too much for a trainee, but I couldn't reject the orders. I work as an engineer for three days/week and as an appraiser for the rest of days. I go to bed around 1 AM everyday, but I am just exited of learning the new field.

<Daniel>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks