• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How do you get started in Commercial/Industrial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennifergrootegoed

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Hello,

I had a question for all those commerical/industrial appraisers out there. I have been a residential appraiser for the last 6 years and have been trying to figure out how I jump in to the commercial/industrial field for the last 2 years. I am bored with big and little houses and want the challenge of commercial work.

But I have scanned the internet job boards and the papers and really NEVER see a position for commercial appraiser without 4 years experience and Certified General License.

So I keep asking myself how do I get there???? I know alot of them train thier daughters, sons, and relatives. I don't have any relatives in the field. My family are alll doctors and nurses.

So please please tell me how you think I should do this??? Also I don't give up very easy.

Thank you for your ADVICE in ADVANCE...

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Removed: Link isn't working.

Go to hotjobs.com and search for Real Estate Analyst.

Last edited:

Annelle

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I was wondering the same thing. Can you pin point at least if you are central, northern, or southern Cal? Some county assessor offices hire and train. Do you have a particular field of interest?

Caligirl

Professional Status
State
California
Jennifer, if you are serious about becoming a commercial appraiser I suggest you plan on a long haul of about 5-6 years. Start with applying for a research job with one of the bigger firms: Cushman Wakefield, BT Commercial, etc. Or start as an assistant to one of the busy brokers. Otherwise, look for a job with a developer.

During this time take the Appraisal Institute courses starting with the general courses like Cap 310 and possibly some of the MAI-track courses.

After one to two years you will have developed the skills-and contacts-which will help you and give you a competitive edge over other newbies. Then you can start your job search, but be willing to work very, very hard.

That's my best advice. Good luck to you.

Queen City Gurl

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I am doing the same Caligirl. I am currently revamping my resume at this moment, and plan on sending it to every commercial firm in my area.

Every job post I've seen, has required commercial experience.... but I am giving it a try anyway. It may all end up in the wastebasket, but you have to try ! I have also, already taken all the Adv Inc Cap classes required in my state, so have the state requirements for the General taken at least.

If you are serious about it, you may want to get a start on that.....and take the risk it will work out for you as you will incur the cost of the classes etc.

Queen City Gurl

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Oops ! Meant to direct it to Jennifer !

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Find a MAI who is working as a small shop or out of home, build rapport, and bring in some biz.
Or do what I did... used nepotism to diversify out into commercial as well as building. :)

jennifergrootegoed

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
California
Thank you for your help.

You gave some good ideas. I have taken some capitalization classes and an apartment class. But I could take more. I bought aboout 8 commercial books online from appraisal institute in a wide range of subjects (hotels, gas stations, ect).

I am in Southern California (Orange County) but I am able to relocate anywhere on the west coast rather easily. I have been looking from San Diego to Vancouver, WA. I have checked some of the government web sites for commercial related appraisal jobs. Sometimes I think CA has so many people it is harder to find a position.

Does anybody know if any banks hire commercial trainees like Washington Mutual or Wells Fargo?

I had not thought about a research position with a big company. The smaller companies are more family oriented from what I have seen. I heard the average age of an appraiser is 55 and so there may be hope (retire?). I may soon try one my least favorite things...which I do in marketing occasionally.....the "cold call."

Thanks,
Jennifer

Last edited:

Caligirl

Professional Status
State
California
I had not thought about a research position with a big company.

I recommend it. You'll find that many commercial appraisers don't want to train residential appraisers. I don't know why that is, as many residential appraisers work on properties that are as, or are more, complex than commercial properties. However, this seems to be the case more often than not. At any rate the contacts you would make alone will be a huge help to you in the beginning, when you are trying to find sale and rental comps.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks