• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

How do you turn off auto shut-off in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
This is driving me crazy. The damn computer is so fast shutting down that I never see the "It's safe to turn off your computer" screen anymore. Most times when I turn on the computer, I have to go through the scan disk process which is time consuming. I assume it is turning itself off too fast?????before it's safe???? Got me.

Anyone know how to turn-off the automatic shut-down in Windows XP so that the "safe to turn off" screen appears for a manual shut-down.

Thanks

Ben

Terry Russell

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Montana
Ben,

Go to Control Panel............then Power Options.............

This may be the place you are looking for. Mine are all set on Never.

Terry

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Terry,

I've tried just about everything including what you posted but still no good. I know from reading Microsoft stuff that there's supposed to be a tab in the Power Options to do it but for some reason I don't have that tab even though it's a new computer with a clean install of XP.

It did it three times today and required a scan disk on start-up. It's frustrating to say the least. I guess I'll cruise the Microsoft site when I have some free time.

Thanks

Ben

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Ben,

Not sure what you mean, I shut XP down just like I did 98. Start Button, then Turn off Computer, and you can select either to shut down or restart, or standby.

If that's not what you're talking about let me know. I did have to change my XP from auto reboot when I first got it. XP comes with auto reboot set to ON. Which means if a program encounters a problem and crashes the computer then it will automatically reboot. This is a pain because you don't get time to read the error message on the "blue screen of death" before it reboots. I had a CD writer program that was crashing mine before I got rid of it.

To change it go to Start -> Control Panel -> System
Go to Advanced. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart".

XP is the best Win operating system yet, much better than 98, more stable, I go all day without rebooting.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Wayne,

Remember when you clicked on "turn off" in Win98 or in XP and the screen came up that said "It's OK to turn-off your computer?"

That's want I want to go back to... When you click on Start, then Turn-off, mine just zips through that old screen (I don't even see it) and shuts itself off without touching the power button on the computer. I think that it is shutting down so quickly, and maybe not properly, that it is causing the scan disk to come on at each power up in the morning.

Ben

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Ben:
You might try this just to see what happens:

Do you have a program that if you left 'open' would halt this rapid shutdown? I found that running Juno (the old freebie mail service) would keep my laptop from powering down to sleep mode, and prevented inadvertant shutoffs if I wandered off for a cuppa...

it also made 'shut down' halt and ask if I really wanted to shut down. This also gave me a shot at looking at 'Task manager' or whatever similar incarnation exists to see what was running..?

Low tech, but used it for several years :oops:

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
XP doesn't have the "safe to turn off your computer screen". IN fact, I don't even remember it in 98. I think I last saw that screen in Win 95.

Anyway, the proper way to shut down XP is to click the Start Button, then "turn off your computer" (which is at the very bottom) , then "shut down".

If there are programs running when you do this, it will close them for you. XP is faster shutting down the other versions of Windows.

I have never had the Scan disk screen come up in Win XP.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Wayne,

Got me on this one

XP does have the safe to turn off your computer screen cause it's on my old P1 which I upgraded from 98 to XP for a back-up computer. I figured because I saw the screen there, that it must be universal in XP. I guess it's not. I know on the XP site, it mentioned about a tab in Power Options that could modify shut down, but mine doesn't have it.

The last program running on my computer is for the Iomega zip drive eject and that sometimes slows down the shut down process.

I'm stumped and I tired of watching the light blue screen of death on start-up. I guess I'll poke around the XP site some more.

Thanks

Ben

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
OK so next question: Is it under warrenty?

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Lee Ann

Sure is.... but I just got all my software installed and sure don't want to go through that downtime again. I can run all the diagnostics and it checks out fine. It's just that is does the scan disk on start-up once in awhile just like if you turned the computer off or had a power outtage while Windows was running.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks