• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

How good is your Software Vendor?

How Good is your MLS Software Vendor?

• Excellent - No problem here

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OK - It can have its moments

• Fair to middlin' - Occasionally color the air blue

• Bad - Drives up Blood pressure

• No on-line MLS available in my area

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Not to mean how well do the agents use it or how complete it is.

I have to use Ambiance by Quest. It stinks. Too many options, very slow download, poor read out, slow display, search is worse than awful. RISCO's system on the other hand was fast, easy to search, and easy to print, filter, or...well, anything Ambiance can do at all, RISCO does faster and better.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
If you are talking techincally, our software is great. Fast downloads (with DSL), good quality printed reports, easy searches, etc. But the data entered by some agents..... that is :evil:
Many are good, but I had to learn which offices I can trust and which ones were :vamp:

I subscribe to two MLS's, one uses CTI and the other uses Ultrex. I like 'em both.

Steve Owen

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Missouri
We use Risco and it basically sucks. (It's quite a bit better than a glass eye, though. You can see with it - just dimly.) Lots of little glitches, an e-mail board that the office staff post to which makes you read messages that are not pertinent (and you have to go through at least three clicks to get rid of it), a back arrow that wipes out your search if you get careless and click it one too many times, and lots of hassles when searching.

I don't have anything to compare it to, though, it might suck a lot less than some others. Besides, I have a long history of defeating software written by geeks who have no idea what it is really used for and making it actually work. Bad as Risco is (and it's really bad) it's a lot better (most of the time) than just looking through paper copy until you find what you want.

You didn't really ask about agent data (in fact you excluded it) but I might add that we have an office staff that pretty much keeps the agents on their toes. Therefore, most data posted is at least halfway accurate.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
3 clicks back? Heck, 1 click back in Ambiance wipes out the search and parameters both. and it does not automatically search only the last 6 mo. it searches the whole data base. If you are trying to find by both time sold and listings by listing date you do it separately because it will filter only those listed in A and sold in B. Really stinks compared to Risco.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
If you MLS Board ever becomes open for a change have them look at Solid Earths's Software. I have only seen two other systems but over all I am well pleased with ours.

But it too looses search paramaters :)

Roger

Professional Status
State
Missouri
I use 4 different systems on a regular basis.

I find RISCO the best, but they are owned by FINIS, and likely sell the data to AVM's, we are non disclosure state.

PWC seems to download fast, but is a small board, and not too much data goes thru it.

Flex MLS is on line only, can't download, works okay.

Offutt Systems (Inovia) is difficult to search, I search on line only, the downloads are difficult and time consuming, even with a cable modem. It ranks last in ease of use.

John Hassler

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
The local MLS uses a web based system from Homeseker.com called XMLS Web. It uses Internet Explorer. Browser based system, in general, are annoying slow even with DSL. You can, however, email comps all over the world, oh joy. The web interface puts a lot of limits on what you can do and I don't care for it.

The previous system was on an SQL server with private dial-up service called PC Access which was complete crap EXCEPT that it worked with a third party program called MLS Windows. With this add-on program I had nightly MLS downloads to my harddrive and had over 200,000 MLS records at my fingertips. It was FANTASTIC with 100 comp searches done in well under one-minute including entering your criteria! Had it on my laptop too so I could re-comp in the field. Alas it does not work with our "new" XMLS system.

Check with your local MLS and see if you can use MLS Windows. It was the best $250 + $100/year I ever spent!

John Hassler

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
MLS Board ever becomes open for a change

Problem. Four boards combined in a regional LLC. We had DOS FBS which worked smooth as silk. Downloading was a two phase op, and saved in .rtf files which I liked quite well. But someone decided FBS had done us wrong by not upgrading to Winders. So they dumped FBS, much to FBS's surprise. Then took on Moore / CARMLS, a program so bad it busted the LLC up. The inputting was so bad, one of the largest Realtors around had several secretaries quit in tears over inputting data. One board rehired FBS. Meanwhile, my local board w/o comp. access took on RISCO. To get the feathers smooth, the LLC dumped CARMLS in 18 mo. Because of the ego of the pres. who had put out quite a bit of personal prestige on the line to get CARMLS hired, FBS was not allowed to compete for the job although they had a windows product (too bad.) Ditto, they did not want RISCO because they were a "small board" system, which came as a surprise to RISCO. While claiming to study a number of options, the MLS committee only seriously looked at Ambiance and one other system. And Ambiance is inordainately complex, little idiot proofing, and a pitiful output. To see what you are doing, you are forced to print, the screen output is awful and not WYSIWYG. But since most of the Realtors in the LLC has not seen anything better, they don't want to change.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks