• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How long did it take before you felt comfortable with your adjustments?

How long before you felt comfortable with your adjustments?

• Right away (yeah right)

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • 3-4 years

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • 5 years

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • 5 years +

Votes: 19 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pdexter

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Oregon
Just curious... I've spoken with the appraisers I work with, but I'm interested to know how the rest of you feel.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Well, considering you are supposed to support your adjustments with paired sales, I would say about one day.

Pdexter

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Oregon
Do you do a matched pair analysis for every single comp? Every time?

Pdexter

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Oregon
What I mean to say is, most long-time appraisers seem to have internalized many adustments based on long-term market trends. How long before you "knew" these numbers?

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
What I mean to say is, most long-time appraisers seem to have internalized many adustments based on long-term market trends. How long before you "knew" these numbers?

Those numbers are never the same in any market. There is no such thing as a list. Did you ever wonder why lenders ask for comparables sales with similar improvements (pool, barns, workshops, etc)? Sometimes I adjust $5,000 for a pool, sometimes I adjust $50,000, etc. It depends on the market and the actual value of that improvement in that market. Heck, an extra bay in the garage can be $1,000 in one neighborhood and $10,000 in another.

Any appraiser that tells you that there is a certain number for any adjustment or you always adjust $20 per foot for living area is not a very intelligent appraiser or a credit to our profession.

Pdexter

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Oregon
I'm not talking about using the same number for the adjustment in any market. I'm talking about knowing "your" market well enough that you can make the adjustent based on countless previous observations... Or does that exist? How long before you knew your market well enough to adjust for a Garage off the cuff etc?

Pdexter

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Oregon
By "your market" I mean the property you are appraising right now. You know that you have seen it before... That kind of place...

Tom Barclay

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Oregon
I'm not talking about using the same number for the adjustment in any market. I'm talking about knowing "your" market well enough that you can make the adjustent based on countless previous observations... Or does that exist? How long before you knew your market well enough to adjust for a Garage off the cuff etc?

It never "exists". The market is fluid, as the appraiser should always be.

GCJim

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
To answer your question, I probably NEVER feel 100% 'comfortable' with every adjustment, with all the liability we are potentially subject to. Generally tho, I believe I started to feel competent in considering how to calculate and make adjustments, and therefore, back them up with market data, after 2-to-3 years of full-time appraising. That said, tough, complex situations will always arise...

Jason Barber

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Pdexter,

Tim is correct, however paired sales analysis is just one way (although the most effective when available way) to determine market adjustments.

You can also use regression analysis to analyze market data. Another method is to simply estimate the cost new, less depreciation of the item for which an adjustment is being made. keep in mind depreciation can be extremely difficult to determine in older homes so this method is more useful in newer developments (and even then functional and external obs could be almost impossible to determine).

The ONLY way you could get comfortable making adjustments is if you were to appraise homes with same characteristics in the same neighborhood every time (and within a short period of time).

Ask yourself this... "can I defend my adjustments in a court of law?" Once you have gathered enough evidence from the market to substantiate your adjustments then you can feel "comfortable". Until then... you're just providing a wild-assed guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks