• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How many of us "Old Guys" still around?

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Next year will be 30 years in the business. I am a youngster for an appraiser at 61. The forum was both scary and greatness in 1998. I miss the chat room at night. Bucks would soar by about once a week.
How old is that in duck years? The chat was alot of fun. Best served with a libation or four.

J in Florida

Professional Status
State
Florida
I started in Orlando in 1987. Was a staff appraiser when the 2008 crapstorm hit. I tried to power through it, but I was a battle not worth fighting. My mom and my wife urged me to get out, so I did about 5 years ago. Fortunately I was able to squirrel enough nuts ($) to be able to hang it up. I do miss performing assignments, but I do not miss the dips...t mortgage people.

CCAAMO

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
over the years the time between cycles has shortened

Sadie

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Started in 1998 after 20 years in banking/ mortgage lending. I'm 61 and one of the youngsters at the NAIFA meeting (or whatever they are now).

Fernando

Professional Status
State
California
When you turn 70, is there a "penalty" for working after that age.
Does it affect your social security. I would like to appraise until I die but don't want my income to be docked for working.

Sadie

Professional Status
State
Oregon
When you turn 70, is there a "penalty" for working after that age.
Does it affect your social security. I would like to appraise until I die but don't want my income to be docked for working.
I think that it doesn't apply to self employed people.

Scott R.

Professional Status
State
California
Will you respect me in the morning?

I'm 57. Licensed in 2006 after 20 years in banking and working for the Dept. of Defense. On the VA panel since 2012. Would like to stop appraising age 62/63 and do more real estate sales as a broker with my wife (or yours if she's really cute). BTW.....the word "retirement" scares me.....it's code for dying soon thereafter.

Last edited:
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks