• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How Much Help Will You Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrell Hignite

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I have recently joined this awesome crowd of appraisers, some are instructors like myself and some just getting started in the business. But many of you are like me and scared to post, well, don't be scared, the water's fine and you can help make this a better forum by getting wet. If you don't think you can, just try it once. The answer might not be what you want and you might get to many answers, but you in the long run will be the appraiser that makes the final decision, so see through the bull crap and type away. I will be glad to try to answer any of your questions if you would rather email me without getting on the forum, as I'm sure many of the instructors will. Have a great week and happy appraising. :D

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Darrel:

THANK YOU!!

Too many folks who have questions are afraid to ask for fear they will get landed on :ph34r: and it does happen :( , Some of the old timers really could lighten up and be a bit nicer... Just because YOU heard the answer a few hundred (thousand? :rolleyes: ) times doesn't mean a new reader has :angry: . Simply referring them to a previous post with a cheery welcome would suffice!

Overall this is one of the best resources I have found in the profession! Long term readers know I have got my foot in my screen more than once here... tain't the end of the world and you can be sure someone will rather quickly point it out for you if you do post something incorrect! :p Invaluable learning resource indeed!

And folks, that private message button is exactly that: PRIVATE... it neither gives away your location nor your e-mail address to the recipient, avoiding the potential for inadvertant subscription to nasty incoming e-mail, but permits entire off-line conversations. I highly reccomend it until (and unless) one feels very comfortable with a coorespondant.

Darrell Hignite

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Lee Ann, You are soooooooo welcome. It is a little scary to newbies and I would like to help them and some of the oldies out too.
It seems that there are three or four ways to answer the questions, when there is only one right way. I hope to help that right way win out. I of course am only human and have been known to make my share of mistakes, but I hope with the help of USPAP GURU, Danny Wiley, make fewer than ever before and encourage all of you to take your upcoming USPAP classes before one of the many approved AQB Certified instructors.
I hope you will then find the right answers to your questions.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Darrel:

Danny IS a USPAP Guru no doubt... being one of the guys that writes the thing sure helps qualify at that level!

As you can see not everyone here is completely up to date on USPAP, never-mind that you are supposed to be.

I happen to really like Danny a great deal, and honestly believe that his and the current iteration of the Appraisal Standards Board has sincere intent to fix some of the problems inherent in USPAP, particularly with respect to confidentiality, 'readdressing', and 'cleint, cleint, who is the real client'. I think they have done a great deal to make the blasted thing a lot more 'user friendly'...

But the squawks and protest that are near certain to arise from the most recently adopted additions and changes (AO's 25, 26, 27 and revision to AO-3) are going to be clogging this and other forums for some time to come.

see this post: Click HERE

Darrell Hignite

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Lee Ann,

Don't you just love USPAP, I just read the AO's again and they will bring on more conversation, but I like all of them. Not just sure how much I can talk about them right now, but I think they will have this forum clattering for some time. I was able to access them by way of the AQB's Chat board and can tell you they are about things that needed addressing. I know that one of the biggest questions I get in my classes is about Updating an appraisal and giving it to another lender. I hate doing those personally and now we will have some guidance....after all, if it's a new client, isn't it a new assignment anyway? If you won't do it, won't they call another full fee appraiser? Just a little to wet your appetite....but we will talk and agree or disagree again.... :D

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Darrell, I get those same "recertify" request from second and third parties. :rolleyes: Loan sharks..... err, I mean brokers...... don't know about, much less care about, the rules we have to follow. So to make it easy, I decided to tick everyone off equally. :D I won't do them unless 1. it's within the past 6 months, AND 2. for the original client. No if's, and's, or but's.

Business wise, I've found that they are a major pain in the neck. Because inevitably, the UW will want the whole report changed, and a few extra comps. By time I finished, I could have written a new report in half the time. Learned the hard way. :p

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Darrell,

If you think it is bad now you should have seen it when I started about 2+/- years ago when it was on the old forum. You would ask a question and get third degree burns or ignored. The treatment would last until there was someone new to char broil. :eek:nfire: To me the forum has tamed down alot since we changed to the new format. Either we lost some that did not want to learn the new system or everyone is just nicier. :twisted: Although once in awhile someone will get flamed :eek:nfire: it is no where near as bad as it used to be. Unless I just got used to all the :batangel: flames.

Darrell Hignite

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
HAHAHAHAHAHA,

I love this forum, how about this for another example, you get an appraisal request from Bank A, they make the loan, rates drop and you get another request from Bank A, but this time it's for a Recert of the same appraisal you did five months ago, what do you do?

I know what I'll do, I know that most if not all the comps are over 12 months, and I'll do another full appraisal. I will not do a Recert, or more correctly, An UPDATE, for the same owner, property, and bank, if it's for another loan.

After all, they are supposed to pay for these closing costs if they want an even lower interest rate. Don't tell me you haven't been asked for this..... :D

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Originally posted by Darrell Hignite@Jul 27 2003, 05:39 PM
Not just sure how much I can talk about them right now, but I think they will have this forum clattering for some time. {snip}I know that one of the biggest questions I get in my classes is about Updating an appraisal and giving it to another lender. I hate doing those personally and now we will have some guidance....after all, if it's a new client, isn't it a new assignment anyway? If you won't do it, won't they call another full fee appraiser? Just a little to wet your appetite....but we will talk and agree or disagree again.... :D
Darrel:

I am not discussin' any privately acquired information :eek: : The adopted versions were passed out to some 2-300 appraisers in a class I attended on Friday the 25th B) ... so the horse is out of the barn... Unfortunately I have no way to post them for more public consumption and discussion :( .

FWIW I hope that this teaser will prompt folks to read em ASAP. and raise heck with the foundation POLITELY to get em posted...

I still see two big hole's in the attempt to resolve the problem of confidentiality and appraiser/client responsibilities.

For the record: smart clients will immediately slap us with a restriction precluding acceptance of future assignments... and plug one hole, and the other is that sue-happy clients could possibly clean an appraiser's clock in court on the basis of harm to the 'legitmate business interest of the client'...

Solutions to the first issue would be: for appraisers to 'just say NO' to signing any restricitive client conditions (HA - like that is going to happen).... AND for the un-happy homeowner to go after the 'client/lender' to release the appraisal.

To the second issue: DESPITE the AO's I am STILL somewhat reluctant to take on a 'new assignment' :rolleyes: when there is a 'former lender') without a release... I understand that it is not specifically prohibited anymore, the new AO's do make that part quite clear... but sans release in hand me-thinks the former client could bite me. :(

even if I think I got them by the tail per AO. :(

thus to some extent we are still back at base A: and who's on first?

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
what ever happened to the really knowledgable appraiser from Alaska, on the old forum ? what was his name ? l think he was also an underwriter. l miss his input and insights .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks