• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How Much Would You Charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon StCyr

Freshman Member
Can anyone give me an idea what is a good fee to appraise a 320 unit appartment complex? just a rough estimate would be fine.

Thanks

W

walt kirk

I can't tell you how much to charge however I think that you will be better able to determine what to charge after you consider how much time the appraisal will take you to do and what other costs will be.

Brandon StCyr

Freshman Member
Thanks Walt.

Acutally, I'm a newbie appraiser and a friend posed the question to me cause he's looking into buying the 320 unit complex. I think someone may have quoted him $1500 for the appraisal. I was wondering if that's fair?

Thanks

W

walt kirk

If an appraiser is going to charge $1,500 to appraise a 320 unit apartment complex that appraiser is either a fool or not prepared to do a proper report. A report on an apartment property of this scale requires a thorough knowledge of the market and the ability to analyse the financial performance of the city and to project income and expense data.

Any appraiser with this ability and a proven professional record will charge a lot more than $1,500. Maybe you should add another zero.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I agree. $1500 is low for a unit that size. You're going to have to analyze numerous sales and rentals of other units of that size, and it's going to take a lot of research for a project of this size. In addition, you're looking at a narrative report. I can assure you that it will take you into the weeks to complete this project. Figure out your probable number of days, cost to acquire data, and time to write and bid accordingly. It's better not to get one of these than lose a bundle being tied up on a project like this while other stuff goes to the wayside.

Roger

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
$1500!!?? :huh: What's he gonna do, put it on the URAR? :D
That deal would be at least a good 2-3 month job for me and my partner. Lots and lots of research, but would have to keep up with our good residential clients too. ;)

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I would think if you have to ask what is a reasonable fee you are not qualified to do that type of appraisal ;) That said, in my market $5,000 to $7,000 would be in the ball park. Lots of work, lots of liability too. Last sale I saw with that number of units was an older complex and it sold for around 12 mil.

vargasteve

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I agree, sounds like you new - you may not be qualified for the assignment at this particular time. The fee of $1,500 doesn't allow for reasonable time period for the assignment if completed in a professional manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks