• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How To Determine The GLA Of A Split Foyer Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissa

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Georgia
My house is 100% above grade. But the appraisal came back saying the lower level was not included as square footage of our home. Can someone explain to me why?

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Typically split-foyer homes do NOT have 100% above grade. The best appraisals will consider apples to apples and compare split-foyer homes to split foyer homes. I have NEVER completed an appraisal of a split-foyer home to homes that are not split-foyer.

For more information Google Kentucky ANSI and you will better understand how our business works.

Melissa

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Georgia
Typically split-foyer homes do NOT have 100% above grade. The best appraisals will consider apples to apples and compare split-foyer homes to split foyer homes. I have NEVER completed an appraisal of a split-foyer home to homes that are not split-foyer.

For more information Google Kentucky ANSI and you will better understand how our business works.[/QUO split foyer.jpg As you can see, the lower level sits on the ground. It does not go under anywhere and does not have any dirt against the sides of the house. So why doesn't the lower level count as living space. It is completely finished including vented with heat and air same as the upper level.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
In my market that is called a raised ranch.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
The only thing I know about Georgia is that your football team really screwed up a Super Bowl. :)

Melissa

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Georgia
Lol, that we did. I hope someone can help me figure out why my lower level isn't counted in the GLS of my home.

CindyR

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Good luck Melissa. I think the only person who can answer that question is the actual appraiser. I have never seen one of those here in AZ and have never used or heard the term 'split foyer' in my 17 years appraising. Based on the photo all the Livable area is above grade and all should be considered Above Grade GLA. Perhaps someone from Georgia has some additional perspective or information but IMHO it should all be considered as Above Grade GLA. Are they calling it Basement Area or not even counting it at all?

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
My house is 100% above grade. But the appraisal came back saying the lower level was not included as square footage of our home. Can someone explain to me why?
While it may be sitting on grade, it's a split foyer and the lower level functions just like the lower level on a split foyer that sits slightly below grade. I would call the lower level below grade, too. Appraisers need to compare apples to apples. There is like zero value difference between the two. Your lower level is given the same value as it would had he called it above grade. We're dealing with forms that don't deal with nuances like that.

Dublin ohio

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
Have same style in a lot of neighborhoods in my markets. We call them Bi-Levels. Some are built like yours with everything above grade. Some are built with lower level partially below grade. Whether or not the appraiser included the lower level as GLA is not as important as to what it was compared to in the appraisal. If it was compared to the same style house and GLA was calculated the same then I would see no issue. In most off the neighborhoods I see these. FWIW. I have seen no difference in having the lower level 100% above grade or partially below grade within same neighborhood..

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I have seen no difference in having the lower level 100% above grade or partially below grade within same neighborhood..
Yep. Stating one is above grade just makes all the adjustments shoot through the roof. A bad plan for the same end. It's not a 2 story...far from it. It's a split...basically a raised ranch where you have to walk up stairs, go into a foyer, and then walk up another stairs to get to the main level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks