• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How to get clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey Lee

Freshman Member
I am now appraising and need some advise on soliciting lenders to give me/my sr. appraisal business. Which is the best way to contact e-mail,telephone, in person. What do they like/dislike. What will help. Thank you for the help and I promise I won't steal your business.LOL

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Dial and smile :D or was it smile then dial. Man I suck at sales.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Check the newbie and marketing forums, there are many OTHER excellent ideas there,

but

I hate to tell you this:

In most markets you will find that showing your smiling face at the door until they give you some business just to make you go AWAY is fairly sucessful, and probabaly your best bet... 8O

Corey Lee

Freshman Member
So I take it the key is to smile and smile some more. I think that I will first try the Dial method it seems to be the best approch if this is a number game which most things like this is from what I have heard all you have to get is one then others will come(hopefully)...
thanks for the replies

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
No sales calls on Monday mornings, Friday afternoons, or any time the last week of any month.

Good luck!

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
I really don't know, but if you want any advise how to run them off, I am your man. :)

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
Corey:

If it's busy in your area now is the time. Offer them unbelieveable turn times and burn the midnight oil to hit every due date.

You can also offer a slightly reduced fee (temporary) to get your foot in the door.

Request an opportunity for a five minute presentation @ staff meetings. Be professional, on time @ leave something for everyone with your name & # prominantly displayed.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Cory: I think the third week of the month when LO's are desperately attempting to get their 'make the bonus' deal appraised and closed.. might just be your BEST marketing time...

and wandering in that last week may not shoot you in the foot either for the same reason.

Don't sell yoru self too short ont he $$ end if this is the angle you are pursueing... they need you worse than you need them in the crunch time..... and if you are smart, you will NOT deeply discount RUSH service!

John SRA

Corey,

Successful marketing is like successful dieting - it requires a long term commitment. It may take a long time to reap the benefits of seeds you sow today. Our firm has a marketing budget, and we make sure we spend it every month.

Some of our most successful marketing strategies include:

1. Sponsor events attended by attorneys, builders, tax consultants, agents and/or loan officers. Every event is searching for a sponsor. Relatively few appraisal companies do this kind of thing, so you will immediately stand out from your competition.

2. Get published in something local. Do a neighborhood price study, or a study of the impact of being on a golf course, etc. Local papers are usually eager to print such articles.

3. Become a public speaker. The Rotary Club, the local association of REALTORS or Mortgage Bankers. These groups are always looking for speakers, and speakers are typically viewed as experts. This can enhance your image in the area. (note: if you are not a good public speaker this tactic can actually hurt you)

4. Teach something. Teachers are also viewed as experts. This can generate tons of referral business. This is also a way to sharpen your speaking skills.

5. We personally avoid cold calls. We hate it when someone drops into our office trying to sell something. We suspect many potential clients feel the same way.

6. Sounds corny, but the best marketing you can do is simply provide good, professional service. We have found that many of our competitors are not very professional, and it is easy to "steal" clients by simply being truly professional.

Always treat clients with respect, and remember that ultimately it is they who are making your mortgage payment and buying your groceries. It is a fact that some appraisals will be lower than a client wants. Proper and professional handling of a "low" appraisal can make a big impact with a client. Don't give in to undue client pressure, but understand that they have purchased your professional opinion, and have the right to ask questions about your analysis. Learn to defend your conclusions without being defensive or arrogant.

Without questions the best advertisement is having a client recommend you to another client.

Good Luck

JC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks