• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How to Grid ADU & Main Home Garages

celilola

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
New community in Flagstaff. Homes have ADU options. All of the main homes have attached/BI garages. Then there are options for ADU's with garages (some have 1G, some have 2G and some have none).
QUESTION: My subject, for example, has a two car garage on the main home, plus a detached ADU with an attached one car garage.
Of course, I have a separate line item for the ADU but Im not sure what to do about the ADU garage. Do I lump it in with the main garage count, so my garage grid would show 2 attached, 1 detached? Or separate line item? Or lump it in with the guest house line item since they are ADU garages?

Amy Perkins

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
New community in Flagstaff. Homes have ADU options. All of the main homes have attached/BI garages. Then there are options for ADU's with garages (some have 1G, some have 2G and some have none).
QUESTION: My subject, for example, has a two-car garage on the main home, plus a detached ADU with an attached one-car garage.
Of course, I have a separate line item for the ADU but Im not sure what to do about the ADU garage. Do I lump it in with the main garage count, so my garage grid would show 2 attached, 1 detached? Or a separate line item? Or lump it in with the guest house line item since they are ADU garages?
And the difference between this and a duplex is what? Sounds like you got yourself a tweener! I suppose there is a big difference between a tract home with a second unit and an estate with a granny. I suppose the income helps with the mortgage. I think in the UAD form you can put a detached garage 1, a two-car built-in garage, and whatever driveway space you have. However, I might have a hard time contemplating whether it is a duplex or a single-family with accessory dwelling unit.

sputnam

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
QUESTION: My subject, for example, has a two car garage on the main home, plus a detached ADU with an attached one car garage.
Of course, I have a separate line item for the ADU but Im not sure what to do about the ADU garage. Do I lump it in with the main garage count, so my garage grid would show 2 attached, 1 detached? Or separate line item? Or lump it in with the guest house line item since they are ADU garages?
If i'm reading you correctly, you are saying this property has two ADUs. Pretty sure lending guidelines prohibit having 2 ADUs for a typical residential loan. As far how to report it... just make sure that your are very clear... so, that whoever (whomever?) reads the report understands what the property is.

celilola

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
And the difference between this and a duplex is what? Sounds like you got yourself a tweener! I suppose there is a big difference between a tract home with a second unit and an estate with a granny. I suppose the income helps with the mortgage. I think in the UAD form you can put a detached garage 1, a two-car built-in garage, and whatever driveway space you have. However, I might have a hard time contemplating whether it is a duplex or a single-family with accessory dwelling unit.
Zoned for SFR with ADU. ADU is subordinate in size vs main home (main home 2400sf and guest homes are 600sf). There is no duplex/multi family question on this one.

celilola

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
If i'm reading you correctly, you are saying this property has two ADUs. Pretty sure lending guidelines prohibit having 2 ADUs for a typical residential loan. As far how to report it... just make sure that your are very clear... so, that whoever (whomever?) reads the report understands what the property is.
No, only one ADU..."My subject, for example, has a two car garage on the main home, plus a detached ADU with an attached one car garage."

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
No, only one ADU..."My subject, for example, has a two car garage on the main home, plus a detached ADU with an attached one car garage."
I would do its as two car garage on UAD and seperate line item adjustment for ADU and garage.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
What Glen said. I agree.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks