• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How To Make Reviewers Read Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

SillyMe

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
West Virginia
I had a really rough week with a few AMC reviewer's literally refusing to read my reports. They were stating numerous times that something wasn't in my report when it was. It finally dawned on me that they weren't reading anything they were just searching for keywords.

As a solution I am going to make all of my reports "non-searchable". I am going to start including addendum's as PDF's that way it has to be read and not searched by keywords.

Can you imagine how much longer it would take to process a report that was not searchable? Would anyone else like to join in?

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Can you imagine how much longer it would take to process a report that was not searchable? Would anyone else like to join in?
(my bold).

I'll pass.
I think I'd rather just find clients who engage competent reviewers.

(I'm not criticizing your frustration or its legitimacy; it is legitimate. I'm just not one who endorses throwing wrenches into the works as a constructive tactic. But that's me; others will rally behind this idea).

SillyMe

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
West Virginia
Dennis, I am not typically one to try to "throw wrenches" into a process but I want my reports read and this is the only solution that I have come up with thus far. It is the AMC's job to review before submitting the report to the Client. They are not doing their job and are coming back to me when I did my job in the front end. The reviewer's are paid by the hour.. I am not.

As a side note, this is a rather large AMC that up until this week had a relatively good review team. I am not sure what happened as everyone that I have dealt with in the past 2 weeks is new to me.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Sounds like fun to me... There is no excuse for such forms of review. The reason I bet is the "reviewer" is expected to find errors as proof they are doing their job and they are asked to review so many reports in a day that it is impossible to do a good job.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Dennis, I am not typically one to try to "throw wrenches" into a process but I want my reports read and this is the only solution that I have come up with thus far. It is the AMC's job to review before submitting the report to the Client. They are not doing their job and are coming back to me when I did my job in the front end. The reviewer's are paid by the hour.. I am not.

As a side note, this is a rather large AMC that up until this week had a relatively good review team. I am not sure what happened as everyone that I have dealt with in the past 2 weeks is new to me.

Yeah, again, I don't want to diminish the level of legitimate frustration you (or I, if your position) would feel. It is real and it is legitimate.

I would prefer to communicate with a senior level management person in that organization and have a discussion about the issue. I think that would be more productive.

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I had a really rough week with a few AMC reviewer's literally refusing to read my reports. They were stating numerous times that something wasn't in my report when it was. It finally dawned on me that they weren't reading anything they were just searching for keywords.

As a solution I am going to make all of my reports "non-searchable". I am going to start including addendum's as PDF's that way it has to be read and not searched by keywords.

Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier just to put the secret keyword in your comment and then they would find it and not bother you? I would probably be sarcastic and add a parenthetical clue like "(Keyword = Predominant)" or whatever they are wasting your time with.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Wife had that Friday. Came back with a list of stuff, starting with a request for the flood map....that was in the report with a header says...FLOOD MAP. She called them up and blasted the review dept. we will see what happens.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee

Have you ever heard the old saying of "flying by the seat of your pants"? Google it if you haven't.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
(my bold).

I'll pass.
I think I'd rather just find clients who engage competent reviewers.

(I'm not criticizing your frustration or its legitimacy; it is legitimate. I'm just not one who endorses throwing wrenches into the works as a constructive tactic. But that's me; others will rally behind this idea).

That won't fix it completely. I have very little faith that would fix it. I would say a letter to the FTC, a State Government official like the Governor would do more.

What you are asking the OP to do is a recipe for danger to the OP. We just went through a melt down where mortgage fraud was rampant by the people you are asking the OP to contact? Hello?

Now, drop them like a hot potato would be a good option.

Last edited:

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I like Denis's idea when working directly with a small or mid-size banks or small AMC. When it comes to a large AMC, try ALL CAPS ...:)

Reactions: Eli
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks