• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How to Win Over Homeowners that are Shopping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Sully

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
About 75% of my business comes from my website or various internet marketing I have in place. It's great because the majority of my work isn't for lender/mortgage companies; however, many homeowners are just calling around trying to find the lowest fee. My fees are already some of the lowest in my area, but there are 2 or 3 other companies i know of that can be found that will undercut me when they can. Usually you can tell within the first minute if they are going to be a shopper or not, but I'm unsure what to do or say that would ensure them that saving $25 on their appraisal isn't worth getting a junk appraisal. Do any of you have techniques for steering these "shoppers" your direction?

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
The homeowners should not be the ones hiring an appraiser.

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
I was thinking of marketing my services as an "Accurate Valuation: FIND OUT WHAT YOUR HOME IS REALLY WORTH!!!!!!!!!!exclamation point!!!!!!"

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
If you know who the other 2 or 3 companies are that tend to undercut you, emphasis to the potential customer why going with you would serve them better, if you can't think of any reasons maybe rethink your fee.

Obsolescent

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I would tout your years of experience and work quality as part of your initial sales pitch. Tell them that all appraisers are not created equal and that cheaper isn't necessarily better.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
There are lots of reasons for homeowners to order appraisals and I congratulate you on successfully capturing that segment of the market.

I do a few things. First, I welcome them to call my competition and tell them I know you will find appraisers who will do your work cheaper and I understand if you need to be price sensitive. I would like to tell you though that cheap isnt always good and good is seldom cheap. One of the things I will do for you, when I am completed with the appraisal, I will personally bring it by at your convenience and go through it with you. If you have any questions we can address them and I will be happy to assist you in understanding the report. My competition, to my knowledge doesnt do this, but I think its important that I provide the best service to you that I can so personally delivering the report is just part of my appraisal service.

If they balk at the price, I simply say I do understand and I certainly know how tight things are these days. Please call around and if I can help you, please give me a call back. Id appreciate the opportunity to provide the appraisal services you need.

I honestly dont think we lose many to fee ... and its a service we have offered for a very long time. Clients love the personal attention you are willing to give ... and face it, very very few appraisers will personally deliver the appraisal to their client and then discuss it with them.

Best of luck.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I am not cheap, and I tell the caller/potential client that. I tell them that they will find appraisers who will do reports for less, but they get what they pay for. I attach a list of recent assignments and let the potential client decide for themselves.

I get about 50% of them, but I will not appraise $1M properties for $1,500, and I will not do complex residential for less that $800. I set my fees, no one else does.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, there are a couple of appraisers I know and respect who say my fees are too low. That tells me that I am being more than fair in my bids.

LuckyLucy48

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Did you ever notice that price shoppers are a pain in the behind......from the get-go?? They start the relationship off questioning your value as an appraiser .........over $25 or $50.

They will usually continue to be a pain in the behind long after we've finished our work.

T

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Did you ever notice that price shoppers are a pain in the behind......from the get-go?? They start the relationship off questioning your value as an appraiser .........over $25 or $50.

They will usually continue to be a pain in the behind long after we've finished our work.

T

Your clients are only as much of a pain in the butt as you let them be. In these tough economic times, its only $50 difference, but thats a tank full of gas to both you and them. I dont think pure price shopping makes someone a pain .. they are no different than you or me.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
How to Win Over Homeowners that are Shopping?

You don't. You DO let your prior customers do it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks