• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How would you like to appraise this house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Over on the east side of Dallas is a home made out of a Nike Missle Silo. Dallas had one of the few defense missle bases designed to repel bomber attack. (The idea was to launch nuclear missles that would give an airburst to wipe out waves of attacking aircraft. The logic of protecting a city in the middle of the U.S. as opposed to east/west coast is curious, but that's politicians.) The silo complex was purchased and turned into a multi-level underground home.

Roger

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I would love to appraise it but it would be at my price, not subject to any guidelines and not subject to any time frame for completion.

The cost approach would be a treat in itself with estimated costs and functional obsolescence.

If one has the time (and the client has the money) these can be a challenge.

I remember doing two "cottages" on Mackinac Island about 5 years ago. They turned out to be cedar log houses of 2200 and 2400 SF with moss chinking on cedar foundations, about 80 years old, no central heat, water from the lake (summer only-it froze in winter), and on leased state-owned land. I earned my pay on that one but I learned a lot about possessary interest and about the goings-on on the Island.

slacker

Over on the east side of Dallas is a home made out of a Nike Missle Silo.

We had those sites in Chicago as well. We just moved in to a new building out in Barrington / Palatine (for the day job) that was built on some old government land that used to have a silo complex. They also had to move an old cemetery so everyone keeps wondering about old disgarded warheads and caskets popping up through someones cube.

Here's a link to some good shots of some of the Nike sites on the lakeshore.

http://home.uchicago.edu/~epperson/nike/index.html

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
And that bomb shelter was dug by 1 man with a shovel says the web site. :lol: I don't know about that, but talk about paranoid. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks