• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

HUD Hearing Televised Right Now (6:30 10/4/2002) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David C. Johnson

<span style='color:darkblue'>The US House Financial Services Committee Hearing held
yesterday (10/3/2002) is being televised right now (6:30 PM)
on C-SPAN.

If you miss it, it may be broadcast again within the next few hours. Check your TV Listings.

Mel Martinez of HUD is testifying (he just mentioned that he is an attorney, which I did not know).

HEARING TOPIC:

Home Mortgage Closing Process
(RESPA* amendment?)

Guaranteed Mortgage Packaging (and Loan Brokers) is the topic ("predatory lending" has been mentioned).

I am not too sure I trust this guy, but will reserve judgment for now (e.g., he just got nicely nailed by an NC legislator for an "slight of tongue" -- known in this state as a Lie ... )
A Realtor/Legislator is flaring into him now about the small print in his "disclosures" and also about the picking of the appraiser. He has "politely" explained to him that no one in the room believes him, and that he (i.e., the legislator speaking) will personally shut it down real soon if it does pass.

The Good Ol' Boy system has been mentioned several times by legislators. This is a clear Anti-Competion Bill (Anti-Trust issue all by itself) being hawked as a "competion increaser" to "help" the consumer against competition limitations -- Yeah, Right!

Amazing. An Hispanic GOB. Man, now I have heard everything.

What is the world coming to?

The LENDERS (i.e., his boss) are pushing hard for this legislation.

dcj

* RESPA = http://nt.mortgage101.com/partner-scripts/...p=cdunn[/color]

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
David,

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep a watch for another showing of it since I missed this one.

David C. Johnson

Pamela,

I have spent the last half hour trying to track down when it might show again. It appears it will not, and this hearing was not placed in video form on the CSPAN website, which was kinda disappointing to me. I was fairly sure I would be able to find it one way or another on their website, maybe even in transcript form.

Here is about all they have to say about it (at least so far):

http://inside.c-spanarchives.org:8080/cspa...ecord=158381608

However, their website is generally outstanding -- particularly if you have RealPlayer 7.0

When you have some time, check out: http://cspan.org/capitolspotlight/ and links.

They have a pretty awesome website for keeping up with everything going on.

dcj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks