• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

HUD #'s on Manufactured Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

vargasteve

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
OK - This is a first for me. Its a manufactured home by 'Fleetwood' - and it is on a CC foundation. I did a drive by exterior 2055 on the property
(I did notify the lender that due to my phone interview with the client) it was a manufactured home. Now they want me to go BACK & get the HUD #'s?, so any way - where are they ( the #'s ) located in the home :?:

THanks in advance...

Willie

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I'm embarrassed to say, LOL, front and back. Sometimes they are on the side. It will be obvious. They are on about a 3" x 4" plate which is colored. I got to get out of TN.LOL

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
The HUD certification label are located on opposite side on the end away for where the hitch was which is usually the kitchen end. They are located about a foot or so from the end and up on about the second or third lap of the siding. They are about the size of a credit card. Silver and red in color. In fact we call them credit cards. There will be sequential numbers like NVT 465877 and NVT 465878 on them. I usually put my camera on close-up and take a photo of each and a picture of the block foundation.

On the inside, you will find a manufactures data sheet with the same numbers and the manufacturers serial number as well as snow load (important up here with 200+ inches of the white stuff per year) Again, I usually take a close-up of the data sheet. This data sheet, if it has not been removed is in usually in one of three places. #1 In one of the two small bedroom closets on the wall. #2 Inside the electrical service box covering. #3 Inside one of the kitchen cabinets doors.
The house I did today had it on the inside of the door under the sink but I have found them on upper cabinet doors. You just have to look.

If you us a la mode, do a Manufactured Housing Checklist with your report and put this info in the report.

By the way, if this is a drive by and they want you to go back out for data, they have changed the order. Think about charging a little more. My drive-by's are the same price as my 2055's just for this reason.

If you have any questions or want to see a photo of one, send me a msg with an e-mail address and I'll send you one

vargasteve

Professional Status
State
California
thanks - that's just perfect information. Thank you very much.. Isn't Appraisersforum great :!: Thanks Wayne & Fellow formites

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
One comment on Richard's excellant information. I don't have a copy of Ala Mode's checklist (I hate check lists of any kind!) but answer the questions very carefully. Do not answer any questions, like frost line, foundation, soil conditions, etc that would be outside the expertise of the appraiser!. Year, make, serial number and HUD number is about it and maybe a description of the materials used in the perimeter enclosure (which may or may not be the foundation).

Rlong

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Jo Ann's a checklist hater!!!! I hate overly detailed and cumbersome checklists although I do make some for the office. I frequently appraise on a blank sheet of paper or even the file folder cover, I think my apprentice/associate hates it!!

I looked at that check list and like it for training and a guideline, but I too would be reluctant to use it, I'm one of those less is more guys! : ) But again I Appreciate finding out about the form (had Alamode for 5 years) and can see situations where I might use it, especially on a new(er) unit where I had that information, and some pin head underwriter wants me to provide it. A also appreciate a few more ideas where to look for the ID plate.

I just did an REO doublewide (no found ID tag) that I would geuss was significantly over valued. (over sold and mortgaged too I assume.) It was on a 5,000 SF lot WITH A SEPTIC SYSTEM..... The neighbor says it stinks in the yard ...really???

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
By ID tag do you mean the 2" x 5" aluminum tag with the HUD numbers? That is the HUD label (and there should be or was one for each section). The letter sized piece of paper with a map of the USA that could be anywhere inside of any closet or cupboard or by the furnace or on the wall in the utility room would have the date of manufacture, name and plant of manufacturer, model or model number, serial numbers or vechicle identification numbers and a very good possiblity of the HUD numbers also (which is a completely different animal). With the serial numbers the mortgage company can find out from HUD whether the home was built to HUD building codes or not and what the HUD numbers are. Fannie Mae only wants the serial numbers from that paper, called the data label and some people call it the Certificate of Compliance. If you can't find any labels, plates, paper work anywhere, then you have to start digging in government records. Assessment records, building department records--talk to next door neighbor, a former owner or renter, a relative of a former owner or renter, etc, etc. And after all of that, it might be that you have a modular home built to a site built home like UBC, CABO, BOAC or something. Then it depends on your state, your state may have some type of insignia indicating the home was built to a site built building code. It is fun to play private detective sometimes!

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I just hope you're charging another trip charge for this. They could get the HUD #s from the borrowers title papers.

Roger

Rlong

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Unfortunately on older Modulars (1979 in this case) they sided over where the tag/lable should be. I called the client and they said just to make a comment in the appraisal, wasn't FHA or to be FNMA. Ive found em every other time. Time before this the Gas Company had put the gas meter right in front of the lable. I could barely read it and took a very lame pick.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I would not count on getting anything form the "title". In Michigan, once the manufactured house is set on a permanent foundation, it becomes Real Property and is taxed as Real Property. The title then becomes moot as the title refers to chattel. And since the HUD Code house has taken on the characteristics of real estate, the license (and therefore the title) is no longer needed. HUD Code manufactured houses have to have a title as they have to have a license to be pulled down the road with a hitch, axils, etc. Besides, without the tags or label, how is one to know what building the title refers to? It is part of that special category created by Congress and I would suppose merely an extension of the double-wide mobile home idea. This is also why BOCA modulars do not have titles. They are transported on a flatbed and never have to be licensed.

If the HUD Code plate and the manufacturers label are missing, condition your report on being provided proper certification that the house was built to the HUD Code. It is the responsibility of the homeowner to provide this information to you. It is not your responsibility to track down some manufacturer in Indiana and spend time locating the tag numbers. That is not part of the appraisal process as far as I am concerned just like it would not be part of the appraisal process to track down the former owner of a house to get him to sign a quit-claim deed.

If anybody wants photos of what the HUD tags or label looks like, e-mail me and I'll send you a couple of photos I took Tuesday on a house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks