• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

HUD Sanction- Manufactured Home Appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Another appraiser posted this in a different forum I engage in. I asked him if I could pass it on as it may be useful to those appraisers who do FHA manufactured homes. He agreed.

I don't know anything about the circumstances:

I've been reprimanded by HUD! That's right. They made me take the HUD Handbook 4001.1 CE class to improve my report. I had been leaving out of my FHA reports for Manufactured Homes the phrase "This report is subject to a certification from a licensed engineer or architect that the subject manufactured home meets the standards of PFGMH. (Permanent Foundation Guide for Manufactured Homes.) I had assumed that this was covered when the county came out, inspected the manuf home, and converted it from personal to real property. Not necessarily so, at least not in my state. Since the primary responsibility for making sure that the subject is eligible to be insured by FHA is the Lender, the appraiser only needs to let the lender know about this requirement in the report, and then mark "subject to" on pg 2 of the 1004C, and include this phrase in the body of the report. Either that, or get a copy of the engineer's certificate and include it in the report.​

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Has always been a requirement since long before I was licensed. There is the problem that the 4000.1 omits that specific requirement that was explicit in the prior Appendix D. I recently had a reviewer at an AMC claim that since it wasn't explicit in the "new" 4000.1 that it was no longer a requirement. So I contacted the HOC and it along with alot of other stuff from prior written directives is still part of the protocol even if it is not explicitly detailed in the 4000.1. So much for the 4000.1 being the be all end all of FHA requirements. In typical government and/or GSE methodology there is a certain "gotcha" element if you can't read the latest written directive and discern how much of the past written details are still required.

Last edited:

valuequestor

Professional Status
State
California
Thanks Dennis for the heads up. Just in time for my next two assignments.

Rlong

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Yes I got "caught" on this too, and other lesser critiques, they did not have me take a class, and the letter stated it was not an "official" warning, but I felt adequately warned! : ) When I took my FHA class it was in person, by FHA rep (1990's ?) and this was not a requirement (per him). I get that it was my fault for not staying educated tho. Brokers/lenders have been pretty good about getting them, I tell them prior to accepting.

I didn’t really want the responsibility of stating the “trailerhouse” was on an actual foundation anyway!

D

Deleted member 128537

Another good reason not to do FHA appraisals.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
I took my FHA class it was in person, by FHA rep (1990's ?)
Both OK & AR used to hold annual seminars for FHA appraisers. I recall one saying a well test was required. The other said," dump a gallon of bleach in the well." Nevertheless, FHA ought to have annual or biannual required classes.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
Its always been my understanding that FHA requires a engineer certificate on a manufactured home foundation.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Around here manufactured is not a substantial part of the market and sales are VERY rare. I have done multiple reports for litigation but none for lending as I do not want to have to learn or keep up with the nuances of that property type. I have no problem stating that I am not qualified (too lazy) to do the research or relearn something once a year; it isn't worth here considering the market. I have bid them when really pressured to do so..........and the bids are always close to $1,000 which always offends the requester.

Appraisers need to learn their limits and what assignments are worth the time and hassle.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
That statement has always been required as far as I know.

pjkeys

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Has always been a requirement since long before I was licensed. There is the problem that the 4000.1 omits that specific requirement that was explicit in the prior Appendix D. I recently had a reviewer at an AMC claim that since it wasn't explicit in the "new" 4000.1 that it was no longer a requirement. So I contacted the HOC and it along with alot of other stuff from prior written directives is still part of the protocol even if it is not explicitly detailed in the 4000.1. So much for the 4000.1 being the be all end all of FHA requirements. In typical government and/or GSE methodology there is a certain "gotcha" element if you can't read the latest written directive and discern how much of the past written details are still required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks