• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

HUD Tag And Year Manufactured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
I just looked at a singlewide REO from hell. Never been so glad to leave a property. Tax records don't even show the singlewide as being there. It appears the thing was purchased "used" and put there. All deeds indicate the monster has been there since the mortgage was originated. No paperwork showing age of the singlewide anywhere in the normal places in the interior. Lots of Garth Brooks portraits though. :) It did still have the HUD tag. Is there any way to determine the approximate age from the HUD tag? Do those numbers actually have a significance? I had one similar to this a few years ago and made an estimate of the age with a megga, megga addendum stating my sources.....urgggg.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
The attached HUD tag means it was built at least after June 15, 1976. There is a cross reference between the number on the HUD tag and the serial number somewhere--how & where depends on what state you are in. What were the three alpha letters at the beginning of the number on the HUD label? Those letters indicate which inspection agency inspected it was constructed in a factory. There is a list of inspection agencies on the HUD gov web site, go to appraisers, then search for manufactured housing. All sorts of neat things pop up. Your state might have a cross reference system, I understand Texas has theirs on the internet. In Arizona, I call the state office. Call your client, ask them if they have a title report yet. What kind of documents did the owner have for proof on ownership for the collateral for the original loan? Somewhere in those ownership documents should be the date of manufacturer, name of manufacturer, location of plant and serial number. That same information might be in your city or county records for assessment purposes. What procedures does your state/county/city follow for a manufactured home to be taxed as real property? By the way did you find a data plate inside the home somewhere? A map of the USA that has all the info on it. If you can't find out any information from the applicable governing agency, tell the client that you cannot complete the appraisal until THEY provide you with more information from the existing loan file.

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Dakota
Thanks Jo Ann.....I finally got the needed info from the deed of trust. It seems that with manufactured homes, the borrowers keep all the paperwork or none of it. An agent who lists a lot of REO properties told me she has a new method.....whenever she sees a new doublewide or half of a doublewide rolling down the highway she takes a picture of the HUD tag because eventually she'll need it. :)

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Sometimes State Web sites work and sometimes not. It depends on how accurate the tag info is and how long ago it was set. I just checked a tag and serial # through the state site and found nothing but there it sits. Oh, well, another mobile in paradise. :lol:

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Bobby,

How are things on the ranch?

Actually, I would not worry about age as long as it had the HUD label on it. Condition is the biggy here. In fact, you could just estimate the age or put down UNK. I never make an adjustment for age; only condition and from what you've said, you had an eyeful of this one's condition. I would not waste too much time on worrying about age and concentrate on condition.

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Dakota
thanks Richard I've had a few that I had to estimate the age....I still try to avoid that if possible....this assignment was essentially a land appraisal with a large tin can on the site with minimal contributory value. :)

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Forgot to mention the old toilet tank trick, did you look inside the tank or lid for the year of manufacture? Or was it one of those where you would of had to put on a space suit with rubber gloves and tongs before touching? And then boiling yourself for an hour in clorox after-wards?

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Dakota
Jo Ann in this property I would leave that toilet tank trick to a HAZMAT team and their space walk suits. That does remind me of before I was an appraisitore and was merely a realitore.....I was showing houses to this newly married couple......the male was an absolute brute and his dainty little wife lifted the cover of every toilet in every house we looked at.......with every lift she would peer at the lid and ask "How old does it say this house is?".....they ended up buying a new house. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks