• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Hurricane Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin Rules

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
What is the best publication available for performing disaster appraisals? I'm in the area where Hurricane Harvey flooded, but was not affected. I am sure disaster appraisals will be coming soon enough, and I wanted to read up on the latest information.

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
disaster appraisals will be coming soon enough
You need to better define what it is you are asking. Appraisals of properties located in counties declared disaster areas but properties not impacted require statements and documentation to that effect within the report or to be provided post report completion.

Appraisal of properties actually impacted by the storm will depend on what specific damage occurred (i.e. flooding vs wind damage vs other defined perils in the property insurance policy). It also depends on what and whom you are performing the appraisal and as of when the effective date is to be (before the storm or post storm).

Alvin Rules

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
I found on the AI website a book on valuing damaged properties, and I wonder if there were other sources. However, pertaining to disasters (i.e. Hurricane Harvey (affected/non affected)? I did an internet search and found Guide Note 10 with the Appraisal Institute, also good information. I am interested in any other publications that I could read.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
What is the best publication available for performing disaster appraisals? I'm in the area where Hurricane Harvey flooded, but was not affected. I am sure disaster appraisals will be coming soon enough, and I wanted to read up on the latest information.

Inman had an article just this morning for Sales people to do disaster reports and BPOs.
https://www.inman.com/2017/08/31/ke...paign=newsflash&utm_content=20170831_readmore

There might be a ton of work for you, or,

The GSEs will issue a disaster waver and maybe there won't be too much work.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
"But being realistic," Hamann said, "in Houston there are homes that have flooded several times that hold their value. They're closer to downtown and restaurants, shopping and entertainment."

And they call Californians crazy. :ROFLMAO:

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks