• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I am a trainee and I want to go directly to commerical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EquianAvante

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
California
Hello, I am curious as a trainee, how I would pursue a career path in Commericial foregoing residential. I had to do some soul searching and have come to the conclusion, I won't settle for mediocrity and I will work for free to gain the knowledge and experience necessary. I have a strong knack for mathematics and equations do not daunt me. Any advice would definitely be taken into consideration.

JT1974

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Do you have a 4-year college degree? If so, what was your major?

Also, how old are you? What was your career prior to entering the appraisal profession?

The more we know about you, the better advice we can offer.

Blueprint

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oregon
Commercial is they way to go long term. MAI certification will take you even further. That being said, there is more to appraising than simply passing classes and passing different tests. What are your educational credentials? What do you have to offer personally, outside of your education? There is much to be known before we can direct you most accurately. Go for it, if you are serious. Don't let anything irrational hold you back from moving forward. Just be informed about what you do.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Hello, I am curious as a trainee, how I would pursue a career path in Commericial foregoing residential. I had to do some soul searching and have come to the conclusion, I won't settle for mediocrity and I will work for free to gain the knowledge and experience necessary. I have a strong knack for mathematics and equations do not daunt me. Any advice would definitely be taken into consideration.

The one thing you need to consider is that Residential Appraisal in not settling for mediocrity. There are many residential appraisers who are VERY good at what they do and there are many commercial (CG) appraisers who are very bad at what they do.

Obtaining the correct training is the key.

Blueprint

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oregon
The one thing you need to consider is that Residential Appraisal in not settling for mediocrity. There are many residential appraisers who are VERY good at what they do and there are many commercial (CG) appraisers who are very bad at what they do.

Obtaining the correct training is the key.

A good example of being informed, especially the correct training part.

EquianAvante

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
California
Thank you for the candid responses, I won't let any of yous down.

wvk7978

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Pennsylvania
It's great to see that you are so motivated. I have been a residential trainee for almost 2 years, and I am now starting my training to learn commercial. To be honest, I wouldn't have wanted to do it any other way. I was lucky enough to work for a company that does both residential and commercial, so the transition has been pretty smooth. I realize more and more each day that residental appraising gives you the building blocks and base needed to succeed with commercial. Vice versa, since I have started learning commercial, I felt that it has really helped me write better residential jobs. Don't limit your potential. The best appraisers are the ones that have the ability to appraise any type of real estate!!

Best of Luck!!

EquianAvante

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
California
Ahhhh, yes, very wise words in deed. Now if I can just spend less time on the forums and more time marketing and studying, I will be invincible!!!!!!

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I realize more and more each day that residental appraising gives you the building blocks and base needed to succeed with commercial. Vice versa, since I have started learning commercial, I felt that it has really helped me write better residential jobs. Don't limit your potential.......

Best of Luck!!

You will find that after you learn commercial appraising your residential reports will become a lot longer.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Considering the state of the residential market, I think anyone who goes directly to commercial work is in a superior position. There is no use paying your dues to mortgage brokers and competing with Skippy for $150 jobs. My best advice is still to specialize (retail, hotel, agri, industrials) according to your whim and background. There are commercial appraisers who appraise only truck stops and food plazas. Recreational properties. Golf courses. etc. They draw the best pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks