• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I cant believe what just happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Rhode Island
I just got back from having dinner with the wife when I get a knock on my door @ 10:00 p.m. I open the door and six Rhode Island State Troopers are there... They ask. "Are you Jeffrey Costa?" After swallowing the lump in my throat, I admitted yes...They asked if I was taking photos on Barnaby Street in North Providence today.. I let them know I was a real estate appraiser and I was performing an exterior inspection of a home on Barnaby. Come to find out a State Trooper lives at a different home on Barnaby St and took down my plates.. I have a feeling the trooper asking the questions was the home owner, but am not sure... I told them I was not photographing that number on Barnaby, however I was taking a photo of the street and caught other homes in the photo.. The other troopers kinda laughed, but the one at the door stayed serious... He just said "ok, just making sure your not up to no good."

It was enough to scare me straight for the night... lol.. I will make sure to let the cleint know that I will be charging an additional fee to take care of the stain in my paints!!!

Now that I think about it, I am a little upset that they came knocking at my door at 10:00!!

Patti Jury

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Colorado
Consider yourself Lucky...

When you get an owner running out of his house with a gun pointed at you...give me call.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
After swallowing the lump in my throat

Even if I didn't do anything, I'd probably be pinching off the loaf trying to hit the inside of my pants. :rof:

6 state troopers at the door could be just a little intimidating. I'm sure they knew that. :shrug:

Domino

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Rhode Island
I've had the home owner running out happen, but never the gun.. Sad to say but I guess it may happen some day..

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I had a similar incident once when I photographed a house the DEA was using for a sting operation. :rof:

Flygirl 152

Professional Status
State
California
The second appraisal I ever did without my mentor present was in a somewhat dicey neighborhood. Not bad by day.........but I was told by many that you don't want to be caught there after dark.

Anyway.......I inspected the subject inside and out, excited about the fact that after 3-4 months of shadowing my mentor I was finally given the opportunity to show my stuff. I drove to my first comp to take the photo, and some woman came out of the house and yelled to me, "What the h+ll are you doing...why are you taking a picture of my house?" My mentor had told me during a previous appointment that if I ever had anyone question me to just take off so since I am in a moving vehicle and they are on foot.

Shocked and scared out of my wits, I peeled out...my maps and camera crashing to the floor of my mommy mini van. As I was driving away I looked in my rear view mirror only to see her standing in the middle of the street yelling that she has taken my plate number and she is going to get me; all the while shaking her fists.

The whole thing scared the ba-jesus out of me!!! I wondered how much worse things could get, but that was about the extent of the scariness. Until the market bottomed out and I started doing REO work. Now that's a whole different can of worms.....alone and going into vacant houses that have been totally trashed. One time I thought for sure I heard someone in the house when I used the lock box key to open the front door. I called my husband and asked him to stay on the line while I did a walk through of the interior to make sure no one was in there. Later on after hanging up with the hubby, I found that one of the bedroom doors had been duct taped closed from the inside, so the only exit was through the window...when I went in that room...the door wouldn't stay opened.....well that's exactly the room I thought I heard someone in when I first opened the door. Funny thing is...that room was really cold....much colder than the other rooms in the house......and there was some weird stains on the carpet that appeared to be dried blood. So I assume that someone was in that room when I went in the house and exited out the window before I actually entered. Creepy.

Domino

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Rhode Island
6 state troopers at the door could be just a little intimidating. I'm sure they knew that. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

I think they wanted to send a message.. Little did they know that just 1 trooper knocking on my door at 10:00 would do the trick.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
They would not even have to waste the gas, a phone call from the State Police would do the trick...

Obsolescent

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
They probably figured a prior arrest found out where they lived. I guess they can't be too careful either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks