• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I don't trust computers, horses or women. I have this great fear to deal with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I don't trust computers, horses or women. You never know what they are going to do, how they are going to do it or when they are going to do it!!! woohoo

I have a great fear to deal with tonight or in the morning. I have transferred all my appraisal files, pictures, sketches, reports from my main computer to an external hard drive. It is time that I wiped this main computer hard drive clean.

Now the fear I have is what would I do if the external drive crashed and I have no more back up on back up. I have had one back up on back up external hard drive disappear. I am assuming some part-time employee had sticky fingers and lifted it. What would I do if I would lose this back up drive? Should I invest in another one to have a double back up system in place.

What do you do??? What would you do???

:nono:

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
Ray,

I think that investing in a second hard drive is the thing to do....otherwise you will be screwed if the one drive with all of your data goes disappears or crashes.

ZZGAMAZZ

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I don't have to worry. The local computer shop that reformatted my computer last month put all of my existing files in a single folder, but they weren't there when I retrieved the computer. Now there's nothing to save.

Also Ray you can pay a monthly fee to store data on the Internet, although I guess that has it's own demons.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
ZZ,

I have three hard drives in my CPU and one external hard drive. I also back up to DVD too. I can never be too careful. I use a program called driveimage to do a complete copy of my hard drive to another drive of the same size. I have another backup of my appraisal files on the external drive. I have the same fears that you have. I hope that my precautions will be the right ones if I have trouble with my main drive. Good luck!

CGgonnabee

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
I hope you will trust me, although I am a woman. We have a server...server backs up every night to a second internal hard drive. Server ALSO backs up to an external/portable hard drive (plug and play). When I finish a report, I also CC my e-mail at my Dad's company with the pdf... and then there is the hardcopy in the file.

The external hard-drive was the best investment of $150 that I have ever made...cheaper than the "vault" feature of Alamode. My BIL does the same thing...we swap our drives periodically and dump them...another back up.

The accountant in me saves everything...and then some.:)

JCONNOR3

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Ray I have an on site back up and also something called I Backup which is an internet back up that backs all data up each day and stores it for instant reload if my office burns down. I think it costs us $10 a month.

Rufus

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Indiana
Should I invest in another one to have a double back up system in place.

Absolutely! I would never consider relying on only one backup. And be sure to make the second backup before you wipe the main drive. It would also be a good idea to test the backup before wiping the main drive.

Additionally, it is a good idea to keep one copy of the backup off premises.

I'm running XP Professional and I use Norton's Ghost program to make a mirror image backup. I use mobile racks for the hard drives and have written an automated procedure that allows me to boot from a floppy disk and it does the whole thing. Here is how mine works:

Top bay is mobile rack with current bootable hard drive on primary master cable. Second bay is mobile rack where I put the drive to receive the hard drive copy and is the slave on the primary cable. Third bay is DVD burner on secondary master. Fourth bay is mobile rack as secondary slave and where I put a large hard drive to receive image file copies of the main drive.

The procedure I wrote first checks that each drive is in the correct bay. Then deletes the oldest image file and renames the others appropriately. Next it makes a current Ghost image onto the drive in the fourth bay. Once finished it then unpacks (de-ghosts as I call it) the image file just created on to the drive in the second bay.

This does two things. It gives me image files I can burn to DVD, proves that said image files will de-ghost correctly, and allows me to boot to that newly made second drive if needed.

I also alternate between two different drives for the second bay. Altogether this gives me the main drive I'm using, a second bootable drive that has the most recent backup, a third bootable drive that has the prior backup, and image files of the most recent backups on the fourth drive, plus however many copies I've burned to DVDs. I usually only burn DVDs once a month and those are what I keep off site.

For current pictures I download from my camera to a separate computer on my network, copy those pictures to the appraisal computer, view them on the appraisal computer, and only then do I delete them from the camera. I also backup the second computer using the same procedure as outlined above.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Absolutely! I would never consider relying on only one backup. And be sure to make the second backup before you wipe the main drive. It would also be a good idea to test the backup before wiping the main drive.

Additionally, it is a good idea to keep one copy of the backup off premises.

I'm running XP Professional and I use Norton's Ghost program to make a mirror image backup. I use mobile racks for the hard drives and have written an automated procedure that allows me to boot from a floppy disk and it does the whole thing. Here is how mine works:

Top bay is mobile rack with current bootable hard drive on primary master cable. Second bay is mobile rack where I put the drive to receive the hard drive copy and is the slave on the primary cable. Third bay is DVD burner on secondary master. Fourth bay is mobile rack as secondary slave and where I put a large hard drive to receive image file copies of the main drive.

The procedure I wrote first checks that each drive is in the correct bay. Then deletes the oldest image file and renames the others appropriately. Next it makes a current Ghost image onto the drive in the fourth bay. Once finished it then unpacks (de-ghosts as I call it) the image file just created on to the drive in the second bay.

This does two things. It gives me image files I can burn to DVD, proves that said image files will de-ghost correctly, and allows me to boot to that newly made second drive if needed.

I also alternate between two different drives for the second bay. Altogether this gives me the main drive I'm using, a second bootable drive that has the most recent backup, a third bootable drive that has the prior backup, and image files of the most recent backups on the fourth drive, plus however many copies I've burned to DVDs. I usually only burn DVDs once a month and those are what I keep off site.

For current pictures I download from my camera to a separate computer on my network, copy those pictures to the appraisal computer, view them on the appraisal computer, and only then do I delete them from the camera. I also backup the second computer using the same procedure as outlined above.

I fear your answer is about 55.9 light years over my head. Remember I spent 45+ yeas bending over under a horse pounding hot steel on their hooves. I do good to find the on off switch on most of this stuff, let alone what all the other buttons do.

The rest of you thanks for the high tect answers, good ideas in all.

Do you think I can get away with having a back up wife type system as well, in case the main unit malfunctions? What procudures do you use in this case???

Flakey

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Do you think I can get away with having a back up wife type system as well, in case the main unit malfunctions? What procudures do you use in this case???

Don't do it!

When the main unit discovers the presence of a back-up wife, the main unit will immediately crash. When you implement the back-up, she will begin using excessive and ever increasing amounts of system resources with diminishing results. When the main unit finally reboots, she will take command of what resources are left and you will be left without a main unit, back-up wife or the necessary resources to obtain a third wife. Upgrades are risky.

rbrienza

Professional Status
State
Colorado
I use an offsite backup system Carbonite.com. The cost is minimal it is $50/ year. That way if the unthinkable happens like a fire all my data is saved.

Ray Brienza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks