• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I Got Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

normando

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I don't know how it happened. Bank called me and said someone called and needed to send money. The bank verified the phone called was mine but fortunately, the bank did not release money.
It was odd. I lost service on my cell phone and I couldn't get landline calls in. I could call out landline but can not receive landline calls. Are crooks so sophisticated in stealing phone numbers and actually use it to disable me or verify to the banks in getting my funds.
Maybe my new iPhone 7 had a Trojan virus.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
scary. glad you found it in time

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania

Michael S

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
I've had at least 3 or 4 credit cards over the years cancelled because someone got a hold of the number and started trying to charge stuff on it. Luckily I or the bank caught them all within the first day or two when they were still making small purchases to verify if it worked (a single song on iTunes for example). Now that I've closed down most of my credit card accounts and gone strictly to cash or debit I don't expect to have that issue anymore. Unfortunately my personal information is probably spread far and wide by now. I can Google my name and find every address I've ever lived at, while looking up my wife's name (who shared most of those addresses) typically only a couple pop up.

Gobears81

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Now that I've closed down most of my credit card accounts and gone strictly to cash or debit I don't expect to have that issue anymore.
Don't count on it with debit cards. I've gotten several cancelled over the years, mostly because I used them at a business that was hacked so they changed it for security reasons. I was actually thinking that credit cards would get cancelled less for security reasons, but maybe not. I have a ton of automatic payments set up on my debit card, so it is always a massive pain to get everything switched over and my wife's insurance plan through the marketplace was cancelled because I wasn't diligent enough about dropping everything at once to get it switched over. The new debit card has a chip on it, which will hopefully cut down on this garbage.

Michael S

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Don't count on it with debit cards. I've gotten several cancelled over the years, mostly because I used them at a business that was hacked so they changed it for security reasons. I was actually thinking that credit cards would get cancelled less for security reasons, but maybe not. I have a ton of automatic payments set up on my debit card, so it is always a massive pain to get everything switched over and my wife's insurance plan through the marketplace was cancelled because I wasn't diligent enough about dropping everything at once to get it switched over. The new debit card has a chip on it, which will hopefully cut down on this garbage.

That's why I try to use cash whenever possible. Can't hack that. Debit card is for Amazon and a few other things. Most bills are setup as ACH rather than through the debit card.

Flakey

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
South Carolina
I try to never allow automatic payments on my credit card. One of my pet peeves is Mercury insisting a credit card on file before you can receive orders. I keep thinking they will get hacked any day.

normando

Professional Status
State
California
I try to never allow automatic payments on my credit card. One of my pet peeves is Mercury insisting a credit card on file before you can receive orders. I keep thinking they will get hacked any day.
Strange you said that. On same day, someone hacked into my Alamode account and changed password. I didn't know why someone would do that and didn't think about it until now. Is Mercury linked to Alamode website? If so, they could have gotten my credit card.

normando

Professional Status
State
California
I wasted half my day, changing all my accounts. Fortunately, no money stolen except I noticed my $300 worth of credit card points were converted into gift cards. Bank stopped it and return points back to me.
Also, I asked about my address and it was changed. I said now you know the culprits but bank said it's still hard to prove that was the address of the criminal. Seemed like sophisticated to break into the system but stupid to leave a paper trail.

Last edited:

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
A few years ago, I returned from Las Vegas, probably only used my credit card a half dozen times, mostly for gasoline. A week later Wells Fargo fraud calls and says we'd like you to verify these purchases.....$200 at Whole Foods.....$300 at Napa Auto....$200 at The Gap. I said no, canceled card. They credited back the amount. About six months later I saw an interview on CNBC with the head of credit card fraud for WF and they asked her what they were doing about the billions in credit card fraud. She basically said 8 cents of every $100 dollars in profit to WF from credit cards go to fraud/thief, so they weren't worried much about it. So there you go. Corporations see things differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks