• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I guess it could be worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
...if it were secondary market.

Asked to appraise an estate for a Date of Death in 1999. No problem. There are 2 houses. One is pretty rough, but it is a house. The other? I cannot think of anything worse.

It started out life as a 24' x 100' chicken house, dirt floor, 7' wall, metal roofing. The owner has made 55' of it into a house, 45' used for storage. The house has (ya' ain't gonna believe this) Pergo floor covering in part, panel, fairly nice cabinets, ceiling fan in every room (nearly whacks even me) The exterior?? Original oak siding with rolled asphalt, most of which has deteriorated. Metal rusted roof.

I'll put it up against any Manf. Home Bobby Bucks has on his website, in fact, if he (or anyone else) would like a pix, just drop me a line, and think, fer the grace of God goes I.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Woah, you Arkie rednecks do better than us GA rednecks. Glad it's you and not me. 8)

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Sounds lovely. :lol:
No building codes huh?
Yep, better you than me. :cry: :lol:

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Sounds a little like the house I had down in Mio that was in a divorce. Someone had gone inside and started tearing everything out to do a major remodel job and that is as far as they go. In addition, the basement wall was severely cracked and looked like it could fall in anytime. Plus there was a bunch of moldy, rotten wood on a porch.

Not a real comp to be had of course.

I just did a M&S and then started hitting it with estimated functional adjustments. Big estimated adjustments.

Submitted the report along with one for some vacant land. Never heard a peep out of anybody. That report, however, had more photos than any report I've ever done. I think in total, I took 38 pictures of that property for the file........just in case.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
I am still waiting for the order I am going to receive someday for a cow barn. Did an appraisal about 13 years ago of a 40' x 80' chicken house (owner raised fighting cocks on five acres), in one corner of the metal chicken house with dirt floors was a 20' x 20' house of one room and bath, very nicely finished. Couple of years later got an order for former stable. Original structure was an L shaped building with 16' x 16' horse stalls of poured concrete 8' high walls. Doors had been cut into the walls to create doors between the stalls, master bedroom and bath, kitchen, dining room, living room, another bedroom and bath--and the remainder still horse stalls. And there there was that 5,000 square foot very expensive, customized garage with 20' ceilings (they were professional drag racers and built their own cars) that had a 700 square foot house on the second floor, very nicely done with spectacular views. On five acres with two miles of dirt trail access and hauled water. And those were in the Phoenix metropolitan area--the 6th largest city in the USA. What in the world am I going to find out here in the boondocks????

jtrotta

Terrel

you roll across some of the most interesting stuff, no wonder ya loves yer job, U could never git board - suppose it makes everyday a wondermint :lol: :lol: :lol: and therefore a blessing ta be in the bniz :wink:

8)

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Terrel,

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with who specialized in cookie-cutter houses. His favorite line was, "I'm glad you got that one!"

:lol:

TC

G-man

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
Well, that beats my 1.5s modular home with the attached, finished 100+ year old chicken coop. Gosh, just couldn't find a similar modular with such a wonderful amenity. :roll: Luckily, these type of assignments are few a very far in between. Every time I see some weird "home", I try to refain from saying, or even thinking, "I hope I don't every have to appraise THAT", 'cause God knows, the next month that order comes in. Have a nice time. :wink:

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Just finished the inspection of my hay bale home. 5000 square feet and NO VALUE to the improvements. The guy didn't pier the foundation, so the slab cracked, cracking the stucco and allowing insects and water to penetrate. The interior is a combination of green cedar slabs cut on the homeowners own portable sawmill and corrugated iron, with 1x12 wood floors on the 2nd floor. The posts holding the hold thing up were green cedar posts made out of trees with the limbs lopped off. By the time you look at the costs to repair the problems and the cost of remodling, you could build a new home.

I just wish people would think before they do something stupid.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks