• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I Have 1 Question Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
Let's say you do measurements of a rectangular (to make simple) house and come up with 10 wide and 30 deep.....Assume it's a rancher with no basement......Your measurements are 300 Square Feet. Let's say the tax record says 420 sq foot....I have seen this my whole career....Should the sketch be the 300 that I measured or make it match the tax record of 420? I am assuming sketch what I actually see....Is this correct? Also, if I sketch 300 sq/ft and the tax records states 420, am I looking for comps that say 300 or comps that say 420......since it appears that tax records that state 420 are actually 300sq/ft like in the example....

Sincerely,

A concerned trainee

Dirty Harry

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Wow,

Q1) You should always report what you see and measure from your inspection. Not what you read on a printout.

Q2) Harder question because you have a point.

In my area I would assume that it was a one-time error in public records.

In your case though it sounds like a random sampling of similar current listings and pending sales that are vacant properties would be in order. Go to these properties and measure them to see if what your thinking is true. Use them as comparables 4, 5 & 6. Use the data you gathered and explain it and your reasoning to make a case for your findings.

Just my 2 cents...

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Always use your own measurements from the subject property. Regarding the comps, it depends on the neighborhood and the jurisdiction. I have seen some areas where the tax records have the wrong square footage across the board in a whole neighborhood. Sometimes it is just a single random error....if you suspect the public records are wrong for the comps, you really need to take a close look at the comps in person and, if possible, measure some or all of them....even if you cannot measure the comps you can usually get a pretty good idea if the error on the subject property is an isolated error or an error typical for the area.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Are you finding this more on manufactured homes? If so, the tax records are probably including the overhangs and hitch length, which are the measurements needed when they transport on roads.

Greg Bell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Louisiana
Some counties will include finished basement areas.Most will include bay windows(How do you live in a bay window?).Also tacked on utility rooms are usually included although they may just be glorified porches.Use you own
measurement and ignore the county.You might want to ignore their assessed value also.....

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
I've come across instances where a building permit was applied for, and the home applied for was never built. The home actually built is legal, but the assessor simply used the original information and never update it.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
...Should the sketch be the 300 that I measured or make it match the tax record of 420? I am assuming sketch what I actually see....Is this correct? Also, if I sketch 300 sq/ft and the tax records states 420, am I looking for comps that say 300 or comps that say 420...

1st: Yes, certainly! That is...YOU are very much responsible for things for which you have ACTUAL knowledge! You measure the Subject--you calculate the GLA.

2nd: REgarding the GLA of sold comparisons...you will have to employ good judgment to reach a solid conclusion!
If you seriously question the accuracy of what is reported to you as factual, you may need to use your powers of observation and analysis.
That is: (a) based upon your exterior observations of the sold comparisons, how do they appear to relate to the Subject? AND, (b) you know the room sizes of the Subject (yes?) and I assume that your source data for the sold comparisons includes dimensions for each room; how do these dimensions compare?

Actually, what would help others in giving you advice is to provide the actual numbers (GLAs) that you are working with. Why? Well, there IS a big difference between 300 SF vs. 420 SF, but this 120 SF difference is not so important if the Subject is 3000 SF and the sold comparisons are 3120 SF.

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
Your description of the improvements should be from your own primary data.

The answer to your question about the comps would depend on the quality of your data sources. If you can demonstrate that there are model matches (exactly the same size as the subject) that the assessor has also mislabeled, then you should use them without adjustments and carefully explain that in your report. But don't do that unless you can really defend it.

If the assessor's subject data is more like a one time error and you have no particular reason to doubt the assessor's data on the comps, then you probably just have to accept and use the assessor's data on the comps.

My assessors data is often skewed and I make sure to use all available sources to try and verify.

BRCJR

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
In my market the assessor requests we inform them of an error such as GLA.

They have the dwelling measured again to verify size.

Sometimes an addition has been added not showing on their records as yet.

Mass appraisers move quick and estimate sometimes, which accounts for the difference in many cases.

I have informed the assessor, have noticed they changed the dwelling size, and were very close to my measurement.

Midwest Guy

Professional Status
State
Missouri
You are responsble for your report to be as credible as possible! If you measure something and know it to be fact, report it that way.

Let's say you do measurements of a rectangular (to make simple) house and come up with 10 wide and 30 deep.....Assume it's a rancher with no basement......Your measurements are 300 Square Feet. Let's say the tax record says 420 sq foot....I have seen this my whole career....Should the sketch be the 300 that I measured or make it match the tax record of 420? I am assuming sketch what I actually see....Is this correct? Also, if I sketch 300 sq/ft and the tax records states 420, am I looking for comps that say 300 or comps that say 420......since it appears that tax records that state 420 are actually 300sq/ft like in the example....

Sincerely,

A concerned trainee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks