• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I Loathe Liquidation Inspection Attempts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
"im not selling my house, why does the VA want you to inspect my house?" i cant stand telling them its a liquidation inspection. is there a softer way you relay this info to unsuspecting owners?

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
they already know. they should have read the letter from the loan people. and on the rare occasion where i actually get to speak with the occupant i assure them they do not have to allow me to enter their home.

DTB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
It is part of regulatory compliance.

Don't worry about who is regulating what, just comply and let me do my job. (that's in the thought bubble, not verbalized)

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
If your are nice and tell them you are just doing your job, there is a 50/50 chance they will let you do an interior inspection. Especially if you tell them it could help with making their valuation higher by seeing all their updates and upgrades :). That is after the 50/50 chance that you can actually contact them.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
i don't like that part of the job either. I also carry when doing liquidation inspections.

Dean

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
They usually have the letter and they know, but yes, it is a low part of the job for me. Only had one real issue, and that was last week. They were in the house, wouldnt answer the door. I stepped on the curb to take the picture and a large man ran out of the house and got in my face. Explained why i was there, but he wasnt having it. I already had the pic, so did a driveby report after explaining it to the VA. I have always thought that going to the house to make an attempt to contact/gain entry is dangerous, its a matter time, in my opinion until this goes very bad for someone.

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I also carry when doing liquidation inspections.
Wow. Can not even imagine that scenario. Maybe this is one of those situations where old lady appraisers have an advantage. Or maybe i'm just lucky. Owner who answered the door at my last liquidation attempt met me with her chihuahua running around her feet and her 2 year old perched on her hip.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Wow. Can not even imagine that scenario. Maybe this is one of those situations where old lady appraisers have an advantage. Or maybe i'm just lucky. Owner who answered the door at my last liquidation attempt met me with her chihuahua running around her feet and her 2 year old perched on her hip.

What are we liquidating anyway? :ohmy:

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Correct. Unless it is a short sale liquidation request where the lender insist that we do an interior inpscetion I simply tell them I am requested to at least attempt to do an interior inpsection. Many times it is a tenant who has no clue that the property is going into foreclosure.

I have a letter that explains everything and leave it with whomever is there. If no answer I leave it stuck in the door. If I go back and it has been removed and no one will answer the door I consider it a refusal to allow entry.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
They usually have the letter and they know, but yes, it is a low part of the job for me. Only had one real issue, and that was last week. They were in the house, wouldnt answer the door. I stepped on the curb to take the picture and a large man ran out of the house and got in my face. Explained why i was there, but he wasnt having it. I already had the pic, so did a driveby report after explaining it to the VA. I have always thought that going to the house to make an attempt to contact/gain entry is dangerous, its a matter time, in my opinion until this goes very bad for someone.

my rlc says i must measure the house even if they wont come to the door and i do an exterior. do you not have to do that? HATE this part of the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks