• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I need to brag on my son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
My son graduated in May 2007 from NC State University. Straight A's his last semester, graduated with honors and on the Dean's List.

During his last semester he completed course work and obtained his NC real estate license. This past summer to took and passed all course work for the Certified General license level.

He entered a management training program with a very larger national/international retailer and set this sights on law school. He took and dis well on the LSAT last fall.......and applied to six law schools for the Fall 2008 semester.

YESTERDAY......he got his first acceptance letter and an offer of a $5,000 per semester merit scholarship.

Eagle Scout, works with the youth group at our church, can build anything, fix anything.....and

If you will look at the photo above....he restored that car himself. It is a 1964 Oldsmobile Cutlass that I bought when he as one month old.

We have restored two others....but this one is his.

Best advice I can give as the father of two very successful adults is learn how to say no, teach them honesty, earn their respect, make them work hard, don't expect sports or beauty pageants to have decent odds for a future, buy them three pairs of shoes/pants/jackets for $150.00 instead of one pair for $150, be their parent...you can be friends when they are adults, teach them that nothing good ever came out of a bottle of alcohol and chances are 1,000% greater of getting into trouble after midnight.

Last edited:

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Bob, you have every reason to be proud. Just goes to show what happens when a parent instills good values in a child. Relish every of his accomplishments as your own. He will recognize this later if he hasn't already. Good job by the whole family.:clapping:

Last edited:

AL LLANOS

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Great advice Bob, Congratulations!

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Hey!! Congratulations Bob! I think I would have gone to law school if things were different. As is turned out I was convinced that I wanted to be a pilot and a boat captain and a spy. Now I'm a real estate appraiser with a boat and a pilots license. They won't hire me as a spy. (or if they did I wouldn't admit it I guess) :shrug: :ninja: I guess I can't complain.

It sounds like you did a mighty fine job raising your boy. :clapping:

farmguy

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Texas
Congratulations, sounds like a heck of a kid. I can only imagine you just painted a pretty good picture of the parents.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
The best gifts we can give to a child are character, morals, ethics and a work ethic. Sounds like this kid has them all.

Charles Witt

Professional Status
State
Delaware
Congrats!

Bob: You can be proud of his acomplishments. They could never have been achieved without the implementation of positive skills and attitudes while he was growing up. If all young adults were as fortunate to have the kind of parenting your son must have had, it would be a much better world. Stand tall and proud DAD!

Last edited:

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Thanks to all of you for your comments. I did miss a couple of things.

1) His mother gets far more credit than I do. We are a team and have been for 34 years. We never let our kids forget that. No playing mom against dad.

2) We had our son repeat the 4th grade due to a lack of maturity and grades below his ability. He thought it would ruin his life....just the opposite was true. It was the best gift we ever gave him.

3) He was not allowed to go on a field trip (to Washington, DC) in 6Th grade due to a minor issue with his teacher. Three other boys were banished as well. The two other boy's parents went down and got the school to reverse their decision....and those two boys got to go. My wife and I refused to do the same for our son. He learned a great lesson about the consequences of your actions.

4) Active participation in Boy Scouts and Church helped mold his character.

5) I took him to Hooters for his 13th birthday. While eating the over priced, mediocre food, I asked him how he would like it if his mother or sister worked there dressed like the Hooter's girls...........lesson learned.

6) We learned much of our parenting goals from our first child. My daughter s now 28, happily married and in her fifth year of teaching school.

Be tough, fair and consistent with your kids. When people tell me they "can't do a thing with my kids" I tell them they have one word wrong. Instead of "can't they should say "won't.

Who is gonna drive this train to adulthood? We decided it would be us an not our kids. As they grew and matured they got to make decisions...some good some bad....but always learning from them.

"As the twig is bent so grows the tree."

Last edited:
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Congratulations Bob. You and my father must have read the same playbook. I have a 4 yr. old and a 6 yr. old both boys. I have heard that kids are born with an "empty slate." Either we as parents can assist in writing on that "slate" or we can let the world do it. Sounds like to me you have been a great dad and I am sure your son is as proud of you as you are of him.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Bob, both you and your wife have good cause to be proud.

You have given sound advise for others to follow in bring up there children. If more parents were to follow that guide, there would be less problems in the world today.

--------

Now as for the car. I wanted one of those when they first came out. There was a model called the F-85 Cutlass Jet Fire. She had a 442 in her. The one I wanted was a deep ruby red, with white interior, bucket seats. Just could not afford her at the time. My uncle had bought an Olds Star Fire and this was the mini version of it.

-----

My son after being in business for 18 years is selling his business and looks to be moving back here this spring. He is going to take over the helm of what I have. I will now have more time with him and my grandchildren. I am really looking forward to passing the tourch and working with him. the only thing I have got to remember is that he is not 6 years old or 16 years old any more. He is a man with a family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks