• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I passed!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Bodtcher

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Utah
Hi everyone, just a little excited, I passed the California trainee liscence exam this week!!! It was my first try! I can't wait to start appraising. Hehe, one more month, and I'm outta retail....yipeee!!!! :lol:

One question though, about how long does it take to do your first appraisal?

Tater Salad

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
Congratulations! :multi:

I can't answer your question definitively. Are you on board with a mentor? Or, are you asking how long does it take to find a mentor?
Or, are you asking how long before your mentor will let you do something other than pull tax records and take pictures? :crazyeyes:

ocvillas1

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
California
Congratulations, David! Way to go!

Now that you passed the exam, the next step is to submit your trainee license issuance request with OREA. It may take around one month until you receive your license, depending on their workload. Only then can you legally start your appraisal practice.

How long did it take you to get the examination appointment, from the time you sent out your license application?

David Bodtcher

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Utah
Thanks!! It took 2 and a half months from the time i submitted my app for exam testing before i got the go ahead. I have a mentor to already train me, and he even has an appraisal for me to start on. I was under the impression that it would only take about a week after I submit my request for license to orea and receive it, am I expecting too much?

Anyway, I guess I'm worried about how much longer I have to keep my day job. My mentor, who is a relative, has counselled me to keep my full-time job for a while to see how well I grasp it, or to see how long it takes me to do my first appraisal. It must be my impatience speaking to me, because i want nothing more than to give up my day job right now and start appraising. I have no doubts that it will take me longer to grasp appraising, and finish my first appraisal while trying to juggle in between full-time work. Let me know if i'm outta line here. I'm just too excited feeling that I can start on an actual career and not have to work jobs where I am treated like "slave labor" for "slave salaries".

Em Tee

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
David: OREA is horribly backed up right now. An appraiser in our office sent in his license renewal the first week in September and still has not received it back! Their website says they're running about 90 days from the time they receive requests. :cry:

ocvillas1

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
California
David - Your excitement is understandable. Don't give up your day job though, before you are able to get a steady income in appraising.
Please read the "Giving up your day job" thread I started just recently -- there is a lot of thoughtful feedback on this in it.

Patti Hunter

Freshman Member
David-Congratulations on passing and an extra "Thanks" for the update on OREA's backlog. It doesn't look like they're making much headway. A month ago, they said they were 60 days behind; now it looks like it's slowed down even more. Tough news for those of us still waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks