• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I should have known better

Status
Not open for further replies.

liznindy

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
I accepted an assignment from HomeGold (I know, I should have known better) and even accepted the appointment time that they made for me (Saturday even....I'm an idiot).

Well, just got off the phone with the LO who wanted to know the value. ME: "I don't know yet, I haven't seen the property." (he knew this, he had just set the appointment)

He remarks that he doesn't want to make the customer pay the COD fee if I can not make the number they need. Oh, and it is okay with them if I go out 1.5 miles to find comps! (HUGH RED FLAG as the subject is located in one of the larger subdivisions in the city and comps are abundant within blocks!!).

I inform him that it is against the law and the rules I must follow (let alone against my personal ethics) to accept an assignment contingent upon making a certain value.

I told him if he was looking for an appraiser to do such, he should look elsewhere........To which he replied "I will."

Thank you, HomeGold, now my Saturday is free and please, don't call me again :!:

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Liz , you screwed up. Take the COD, do the report and let the chips fall where they may. He is not going to use you anymore anyway.

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Andrew,

If Liz's business is a busy as mine is right now, it's worth it not to get hammered over the head for a value you can't support. Which is what inevitably happens with these clowns.

liznindy

Professional Status
State
Indiana
Andrew,

I had already told another LO at HomeGold that I couldn't give an opinion of value without DOING the appraisal a few days ago...she said go ahead and do the appraisal.

He called to confirm the appointment, then made it clear that they only wanted an appraisal that was at the value they needed.....

This type of appraisal work (number hitters) provided me with 25% of my income last year on "appeal" reviews....Some of these appraisers are now getting prison time.

You're right, Blue....don't need or want the aggravation!! Had a record year last year (as I am sure most appraisers did) and no sign of letup yet!

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Liz,

good point, my only thought was you could have gotten a little money for the aggravation these jerks put you thru

"The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any
better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit
outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more
stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't
know."

--- P.J O'Rourke (1989)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks