• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I still cannot access to AF

Status
Not open for further replies.

moh malekpour

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Wayne, I can access to AF using my windows 98 but cannot access using my windows XP. This problem just started today and this limitation is only to appraisers forum website. If there is any problem with my computer or browser to get access to AF, it should be for accessing to any other websites too but I can get access to any and every other website . I just don't like to use my windows 98 to access to AF and I cannot find what is the problem with my other computer that has xp. My only question is that why the lack of accessibility should be only to Appraisers forum?

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I have the same problem Moh. I use a Hughesnet satellite system. It took months for the Hughes engineers to determine that Waynes system had compatibility problems with Hughesnet's turbopage software/protocol (whatever). They solved the problem by setting up a feature in the advance configuration where I could disable the turbopage. This worked well until I upgraded to a new modem. Now I'm back to have to reset the modem several times a day. Turning off the turbopage doesn't work anymore... it just prevents me from getting on at all.

Very frustrating and it only happens with appraisrsforum.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
If the problem just started today then some change has taken place on your computer.

1. Did you install new software?

2. Did you change settings on some software?

3. Did you upgrade software?

Try using the "system restore" feature of Windows to restore your computer back to the time when you could access the forum.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but the problem is on your system and I have no control over your system.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Followup:

You might also try deleting all your temporary internet files.

GTM

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Unable to access AF

I am having the same problem as far as getting to the site. I can access it on my second pc but the the main pc won't let me. I get the white page stating web site unavailable. Any ideas?

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Follow the suggestions I gave Moh. Something on your computer is blocking you from accessing the forum.

Since I have no idea what software you are running I can't help.

If I knew the below we could start to troubleshoot:

Windows version
Browser and version #
Virus software and version #
Firewall software and version #
Are you running any type of "security" program?

Are you running any kind of Norton or McAfee software? They are notorious for blocking sites. If you are make sure you add appraisersforum.com as a "trusted site".

When was the last time you could access with your "main" computer? What has changed since then?

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Followup to both Moh and Gerald:

1. Delete all temporary internet files
2. Disable your firewall completely
3. Disable your virus scanner

Does the problem still exist? If so start disabling programs that are running in the back ground until you have nothing running but your web browser. Hit "cntrl-alt-delete" to bring up the running programs and disable them.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
A couple of years ago I had a similar issue. It turned out to be the firewall in my router which didn't like AF. I had to reset it and it has been fine since.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Update:

PLEASE TRY THE BELOW BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE:

Open your Windows "hosts" file with a text editor at: c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

You should see something as below:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

------------------------

The info to the right of the # are simply comments and are not read by your system. If there is an entry for appraisersforum.com in this file remove it. Save the hosts file and REBOOT your computer. A reboot is needed because your computer reads the host file on startup. Try to access the forum. If you still can not, continue below:

Open the hosts file again and copy and paste the below entry on a new line below the localhost entry (or if don't have the localhost line just add it as the first line):

69.56.161.211 appraisersforum.com

SAVE the hosts file and REBOOT your computer and try.

Also read the Wiki about hosts files as hosts files are often used for browser hijacking by bad sites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

I recommend everyone monitor their hosts files, the freeware program HostsMan is an excellent program for this, download at:

http://www.abelhadigital.com/

moh malekpour

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Thanks Wayne,
I may have gotten the problem solved but I am not sure yet. I am able to connect with the same computer that I was not able since yesterday. I have 3 browsers in my XP. IE 7, MSN and Firefox. I tried all 3 browsers numerous times yesterday to isolate the browser but was not able to get access by neither of them. I got tech guys from verizon to do a window sharing in 2 sessions on my computer and they checked everything related to Internet connection and couldn’t find anything wrong. I did everything including deleting temp files, folders, cookies, forms but nothing worked. I tried MSN browser just few minutes ago and played with the MSN pop up guard setting and uncheck it and suddenly the problem solved. I never touched that setting before but evidently that was the cause. Now there is a big red X in the pop up guard setting check box on my MSN browser menu and everything works fine. I still don’t know why that pop-up guard setting in MSN browser prevented me access to AF using IE or firefox but I am glad that the problem is solved. Obviously it was security problem. My main security is Norton anti virus and the firewall that I checked and uncheked them several times but didn’t do any good.

Thanks again Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks