• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I think a Skippy saved me $100 today:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSmith43

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
There is a connection in here somewhere, to a parallel universe, where appraising didn't go haywire, common sense prevailed as did superior service work products, not mandated by the government:

My WS HD Sony projection TV bit the dust. It is only 3 years old...kind of poor performance for a Sony, even one built in Mexico.

I decided to order a technician to visit from the BB store chain for $100.

He calls me the morning of the appointment, asks me what is wrong. I explain in vivid detail, the spot in the middle of the screen that looks like a splatted bug that displays for a few seconds until the circuit breaker trips, and the flashing error code (six flashes).

He says, "Bad tube or tubes, that happens quite often on that model. Can't get them for a reasonable amount and even if we could you'd always have that spot in the center of the picture.":unsure:

I ask a few follow up questions, decide the guy is probably right, and ask if he'd like to be paid for the service call. He says not necessary, since he didn't have to come out or spend a significant amount of time talking to me.

I thank him for his time and remember that piece of good will, which, I assume, is absorbed partly by the big box retailer that retains the technicians.

His scope of work was pretty skinny, I thought. An EA that I knew enough to count the flashes (actually, I found the definitions for the error codes on the net & told him what it was for that model). Probably a few other reasonable assumptions.

Possibly, he was wrong. After all, it wasn't even a drive by:new_llying:

Then I started wondering if he broke some sort of code of ethics or had to retain a work file for 5 years. Thinking to myself, if I were a young guy, I'd be tempted to go to one of them diploma mills that fella attended, and crank out service calls for a large company that matched 401 K, let me quit at 5 PM and paid me OK.

Sure, CE would be a drag, but it probably wouldn't be mandated except for needs in the market place.......

Anyway, I thanked the guy for saving me the $100, and will probably spend $2,000 buying a replacement (LCD 1080 with Blue Ray player, I'm thinking:)

Yes, I met a Skippy today, a decent man. I realize there are other types of Skippies out there, but this guy produced a respectable service product, with a courtesy diagnosis check as an informal part of the business model.

Rudy Canoza

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Apples and oranges and you're old enough and wise enough to know it.

A word of caution, don't bundle the DVD with the TV. If either/or malfunctions, both go to the shop. Or if the TV goes south, throw the DVD away with it...

FWIW...

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
State
California
What this gentleman did for you was the equivalent of providing a comp check, which saved his time and your money by offering a professional courtesy with the caveat, stated or otherwise, that he couldn't analyze the problem definitively without "conducting the property inspection."

Your decision, then, was to follow his advice or elect to pay his competitor for a service call that might or might-not resolve the problem.

It's about time that appraisers were awakened to the world all around us, rather than blindly to accept AO-19 and the antecedent Rules upon which it is based.

Comp checks should be a business decision rather than a professional canon. (JMHNewbeeO)

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
What this gentleman did for you was the equivalent of providing a comp check, which saved his time and your money by offering a professional courtesy with the caveat, stated or otherwise, that he couldn't analyze the problem definitively without "conducting the property inspection."

Your decision, then, was to follow his advice or elect to pay his competitor for a service call that might or might-not resolve the problem.

It's about time that appraisers were awakened to the world all around us, rather than blindly to accept AO-19 and the antecedent Rules upon which it is based.

Comp checks should be a business decision rather than a professional canon. (JMHNewbeeO)

Hmmm Repair Man on a salary .... appraiser working for free ... I dont think its a good business decision. Sorry Gama ... but if you want to knock yourself out.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
zzgamazz.....

Mr. Best Buy technician doesn't need a license to do what he does. He does not have laws saying he cannot "appraise the situation" to a predetermined value. He gives advice, for which he is paid a salary for or most likely $10/hour for. He doesn't have to take CE classes at his own expense.

When he tells the "client" that the value is not there the "client" comes in and buys a new $2,000 TV. When you tell the "client" the value is not there you get paid nothing. BUT...you pay $1,500 a year for MLS, $500 a year for appraisal software...etc...etc....all paid for by you.

Maybe you should consider Best Buy.....I dunno...something to think about.

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Unless it's a playstation, I won't ever buy another Sony product. Three years isn't poor performance for a sony, that is better than average performance IMO.

Costco and Sams have good prices on Vizio televisions.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Either that or.

Maybe he did toe the company line and convinced you that you had a problem that couldn't be solved without buying a new unit.

He seemed so nice that you will probably patronize his store for you 2000 dollar purchase.

Are you SURE he was telling you the truth? After all, he never inspected the subject, and rendered an opinion as to the condition of the interior.

100 dollar service call, 2000 dollar purchase...hmmm. You don't think he may have been motivated to tell you something that wasn't true?

He might have been THAT kind of skippy.

It could be the thread should read skippy COST me 2K.

By the way, I could afford to pay his salary if he was making me that kind of money.

Just one alternative, but you are probably right, that is a common problem with those units.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Is this like Dogbert's Tech Support?:rof:

Last edited:

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Since when are 3 yo consumer electronics worth repairing? :shrug:

If he came out and said the same thing after looking at it, then charged me $100 I'd not be happy. :leeann:

Kind of like the times we called a repair man for the fridge, and also for the clothes washer. Not worth repairing. $50 please. Ka-ching. m2:

JSmith43

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I'm not sure how much the guy on the other end of the phone was making, but no doubt, he is subject to customer service surveys, etc.

If he were licensed and regulated I would do the same due diligence ahead of time, possibly more:rof:

The guy had bench time and was skilled, IMO. PE: $10/ Hr?? He's not a store greeter. :unsure:

If I had the time, I could have downloaded the service manual I located & done some testing. If I was a homeowner, it might be the equivalent of getting a few BPO's and possibly, doing some comparison shopping, or, another appraisal.

There is no way to know if a customer is a set-up by the local TV channel or repair guy. Expose's like that really kill high profile businesses. It's generally, not in their best interest to promote such BS. Word of mouth experiences also rewards and punishes a bit at a time.

I'd feel so much safer if the BB repair man was licensed and regulated.....not! Btw, I said BB. I may mean big box, and was really trying to keep this generic. I might buy another Sony & now I even regret the poor attempt at humor slamming Mexican outsourcing by a Japanese supplier.

Viva Mexico! I'll buy stuff assembled or manufactured there, no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks