• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I think this is fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

nancy jo

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Florida
I was recently asked (by my supervisor and the company owner, who is also a St. Cert. Appraiser for 15+ yrs) to change the effective date on an appraisal. During my first inspection of subject the were some unfinished exterior porches. Wood railing on front and rear porches, and a small part of the wood flooring of the rear porch were in the process of being finished. (These items were noted in the appraisal but did not effect value in any significant way) I was later asked by the mortgage co. to reinspect and add photos reflecting all of the porch work was complete. I did so...no problem. Added the photos and the reinspection form and moved on.

A few days later I was contacted by the my supervisor and that's where the problems began. He was on a sort of "phone tag" between myself and the owner of the my former company. He ( my super ) told my that I was to change the effective date of the appraisal to reflect that all work was complete upon the first inspection.

Without getting into too much detail, I refused to change the effective date. (I think my jaw was hitting the floor when I was asked to do this by MY SUPER) My name was taken off the appraisal, (at my request) and my super's was the only signature on the report, and the effective date was, indeed, changed to relfect that there was never any unfinished work at the subject property.

This type of thing happens more often than you ( I ) can imagine. Although, I must admit, even I was surprised to find that my "peers" at my place of work, would tell me that this type of thing is not a big deal. (In fact, did not seem to think that this was any type of fraud or ethics problem.)

What do you think.......

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
That's not right. :leeann:

Dominic

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
He took your name off the report, but you did the work? He signed as if he did it with no help? He changed the date to make it seem that the work was complete prior to the original inspection?

Sounds like the definition of "misleading" to me.

I think you need a new mentor ASAP. (I know, easier said than done, but... start looking)

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
nancy said, I was later asked by the mortgage co. to reinspect and add photos reflecting all of the porch work was complete. I did so...no problem. Added the photos and the reinspection form and moved on.

I assume you did not do a 1004D. That's the problem. Did you date
photos? I assume most UWs would pick up on it. I don't think its
fraud, its just sloppy procedure.

nancy jo

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Florida
Dominic,

I left the company because of this. I was also deemed, by the co. owner, to be "problematic" because of this and other probs. with this mortgage co. I am now, an unemployed appraiser.............

nancy jo

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Florida
Elliot,
The mortgage co requested that the 1004D be removed from the appraisal, (they said that they did not order this to be added to report) and that the effective date be changed to the date of the reinspection. They also (or maybe it was my former employer) wanted the original photos of the unfinished porches removed.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I'm sorry you lost your job.
You did the right thing by not changing the report.
Your (former) supervisor has knowingly certified that a false report is true.
I hope you find a better mentor soon.

Good luck!

nancy jo

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Florida
Thanks Denis,
I know I will need all the luck I can get.
But, I do find it a bit disheartening that the unethical people I worked for are still getting paid.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Thanks Denis,
I know I will need all the luck I can get.
But, I do find it a bit disheartening that the unethical people I worked for are still getting paid.

I can appreciate the frustration.
While of no immediate help to you, my experience in the appraisal profession is this: Those who practice unethically in our profession do not succeed. That doesn't mean they don't appear to make money, and some of them seem to manage to hold on to their jobs or their business for longer than I thought possible. But, eventually, their unethical practice catches up with them.
It could be a complaint filed with the state.
It could be a former trainee turning them into the IRS and the state for being paid as a contractor rather than an employee.
It could be that they get kicked off so many lists that even their own scumbag clients stop using them.
It could be that a lender sues them.
I've personally seen each of the above happen. It doesn't happen quick enough, and there are enough unethical appraisers around that it takes time for justice to make its rounds. But it does happen.

Sometimes it seems like the only solace an ethical appraiser like you can take is knowing that you will never have to constantly worry about being confronted with the charge that you acted unethically. That knowledge doesn't always make life easier but it sure makes one's life better! And in the end, my experience is that it is the good people who come out on top!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks