• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I was offered a bribe today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Was doing a request for an AMC and doing my interior
inspection and the HO comes up to me and hands me
an envelope and says, "Merry Christmas, this is for you."

I'm thinking this is unusual, because this AMC doesn't
do the 'pick up a check' thing. So I start opening the
envelope and I see the corner of a $50 bill. I say,
"No, I can't accept this, the company I work for pays
for the fee, and I can't accept gifts." HO seems to
understand. No harm, no foul.

Then as I'm about to go outside he says, "Can you give me
a value higher than I asked for?" So, I have to explain that
the AMC just wants market value and they don't actually tell
me any number, and for him not to tell me a number.

I guess I should have asked who the appraisers were who have
accepted his envelope.

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
$50....so that's what integrity is worth to some people, heh?

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Hey, it's the Christmas season. Put the envelope in your pocket an do the job as you always would. :rof: Was the $50 more or less than the AMC was paying you? :rof:

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
The bribe was 1/10th of what the AMC is paying me.
:rof:

Kevin A. Spellman

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
A similar situation occurred in my office. The applicant stuff a $100 bill in his top pocket and refuse to take it back. I’m glad I had a good relationship with this appraiser who was very ethical.

I went to the bank got a certified check for $98.00 ($2.00 for the check) mailed the check back to the applicant. Got the mailing address from the loan officer.

About six months after the appraisal, the FBI was in my office asking about the appraisal with the bribe. I told the FBI guy with his flashy gold badge, I remember that deal that’s the guy who gave us a bribe. His eyes lit up and then I show him the copy of the check, he laughed and gave him a copy of the entire file, including the copy of the certified check.

The $100 guy was the seller and his wife was the buyer using her maiden name. She applied for six loans from six different mortgage companies as owner-occupied back in the 1991 era. She was arrested at the closing table. The husband flew back to his homeland in the Middle East and abandoned his wife.

Jonah

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Utah
I had that happen to me as well. Guy walked up to me as I was measuring the exterior. Tried to hand me $50 for as he put it a "rush fee." I declined and told him that he will have to wait in line with everyone else. Hmmmm, I wonder if that attitude is why I am so slow now:new_smile-l:

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
The husband flew back to his homeland in the Middle East and abandoned his wife
He probably had several so they are expendable you know

David Dietz

Professional Status
State
Florida
On my way out of one home the owners son who was a teenager stopped me and went to shack my hand and inside his palm was a five dollar bill. Actually I was a little offended. Five bucks would not even cover the gas it took to get to the place. Not really sure they intended it to be a bribe but maybe more of a tip. I think I am worth more than 1.4%. Needless to say I did not take the money. Another appraiser I know was offered a large amount of money at the time of the inspection, when he refused the HMO threated him. No appraisal was completed on that home.

James Micozzi

Professional Status
State
New York
This happened to me as well. I was appraising three multi family properties, two 4 families and one 2 family in Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn. Big $$$ for these turn of the century brownstone homes. The total appraised valued was over 6 million $$. At the end of my inspection, the owner hands me a envelope, supposedly with papers showing his rental income, expenses, etc. I open the envelope and out falls 3 fifty dollars bills. Needless to say, i was offended. I gave it back to him immediately and told him the next time, he should really try to bribe someone :rof:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks