• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I wish, I wish, I wish some days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Doing a divorce appraisal. Owner will not let anyone in the home, need a court order and sheriff, sheriff says he may need additional support staff, who is going to pay the bill?

Call county which does not have any thing on line. Made a trip to the court house for tax data. Call the township assessor, says they have nothing in their office on the subject and the owner would not let them in last spring. Says what information they have is at the township clerks office, called her and she will not be in till a week from this friday from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. says there is not much data on the file card casue the people have been a real pill, so they just assess them at the highest value and guess at the rest.

Whats a simiple cookie cutter like????? Are thier really such things out in the real world.

Stone you want to help me on this one? Its out in Redneck country!!!

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
If it's for divorce, the attorneys can file as part of discovery and they will have to let an appraiser in.

stefan olafson

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
Ray,

Wear your bullet proof appraisers outfit if the attorneys force this individual to let you in!

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Be sure the Sheriff takes the guy into temporary custody, and don't leave a card or mention your name to the guy. I've had to sneak into a home before for a divorce appraisal.

If you can get close enough with a telephoto lens (always carried one), then SWAG it and give disclaimers, if no access is possible.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Make the attorney(s) go with you.

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
Ray,

Wear your bullet proof appraisers outfit if the attorneys force this individual to let you in!
I honestly do wear my vest when going to some parts of Boston, Brockton, and New Bedford/Fall River. I was able to luckily purchase this from a Coast Guard friend who purchased them from the Coast Guard a few years back at some sort of surplus auction or whatever. I love it!

Tom Eichholz

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Kansas
I'd stop running all over the place and simply call the attorney who retained you and say that the value will have to be stipulated in court because you can't gain access and therefore can't perform an appraisal on what you can't see.

Put the ball back into their court.

(Sounds like you'll be lucky if you get paid, regardless).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks