• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Idaho Border Collie update

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephHigdem

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Idaho
I'm sure you have all be up late at night, wondering how things are going with the dog I found last month: (http://appraisersforum.com/showthread.php?t=130741)

The new pup has been an adventure! He is the sweetest thing. But... he was obviously abused & very submissive. He had never been inside & had no idea about house training. (Coupling that with my geriatric bull dog with congestive heart failure who's on diuretics... thank God I don't have carpet!) And CHEW! I have never had a pup (and this guy has all his "adult" teeth, vet said he's 10-12 months) who chews on stuff so much. Luckily all we've lost is a red leather pump (daughters play shoes), a couple of rolls of toilet paper, and some plastic cups. It's been a challenge to walk the line between correcting the dog & trying to (for lack of a better word) boost his self esteem. He's a bright boy, at this point a raised eyebrow, disappointed look and pointing usually covers it.
Needless to say, we've all got much better at keeping things picked up. He was introduced to big rawhide bones at a friends house, he loves those. He still hasn't grasped the concept of fetch, or chase, or the dog door. He's best friends with my in laws (next door) lab. He hasn't tried to herd the horses, but he does "give them the eye" whenever he's around them. They give him the horse equivalent of a rolled eye & tossed hair.
Any way, he's been a, mostly, welcome addition to the family. I will be thrilled when learns the dog door (I think he was kept crated, or in a small shed, or something like that, 'cause he hates small,dark places - including the dog door.) -- I'm pretty sick of the 1am potty outings. (although they are an improvement to the 7am floor cleanings). Now you have the update

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I'm sure you have all be up late at night, wondering how things are going with the dog I found last month: (http://appraisersforum.com/showthread.php?t=130741)

The new pup has been an adventure! He is the sweetest thing. But... he was obviously abused & very submissive. He had never been inside & had no idea about house training. (Coupling that with my geriatric bull dog with congestive heart failure who's on diuretics... thank God I don't have carpet!) And CHEW! I have never had a pup (and this guy has all his "adult" teeth, vet said he's 10-12 months) who chews on stuff so much. Luckily all we've lost is a red leather pump (daughters play shoes), a couple of rolls of toilet paper, and some plastic cups. It's been a challenge to walk the line between correcting the dog & trying to (for lack of a better word) boost his self esteem. He's a bright boy, at this point a raised eyebrow, disappointed look and pointing usually covers it.
Needless to say, we've all got much better at keeping things picked up. He was introduced to big rawhide bones at a friends house, he loves those. He still hasn't grasped the concept of fetch, or chase, or the dog door. He's best friends with my in laws (next door) lab. He hasn't tried to herd the horses, but he does "give them the eye" whenever he's around them. They give him the horse equivalent of a rolled eye & tossed hair.
Any way, he's been a, mostly, welcome addition to the family. I will be thrilled when learns the dog door (I think he was kept crated, or in a small shed, or something like that, 'cause he hates small,dark places - including the dog door.) -- I'm pretty sick of the 1am potty outings. (although they are an improvement to the 7am floor cleanings). Now you have the update

"He still hasn't grasped the concept of fetch, or chase, or the dog door. "

The door door he will learn, the fetch will take a lot of work on your part, he may try and herd it by pushing it with his nose back to you. Like get a long little doggie. The chase out he will learn as long as he has something to herd back. Keep an eye on him nipping at kids and adult heels to get them to herd.

Like I said I have always had Aussies and Boarder Collies. Biscuit is now 15 or 16 uses a hearing aid cat to hear for him. But still just as full of life as the day I got him at the pound 14/15 years ago. Sometimes he still goes out to the barn to help feed. The only thing he as stop is the game with my ole horse. He would run up and nip his pasterns, Sun would kick sometimes scoring some time now. Send teakettle to A-hole across the pasture. Sun is to old to kick and Biscuit learned it hurts like H e l l to get kick that hard any more. He sleeps with his two cats in the Garden Barn wife has a nice place fix up for them with hay and straw, heated water and food 24/7. They all lay together.

Good luck with your pup, treat him well and he will be yours for life. They also become very protective of you and the little kids they live with. If they preceive a stranger will do any type of harm or someone does not smell right, they will get in between the stranger and their charge. They will bare teeth, growl and attack the stranger, some times with out any notice.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Your stories kindle memories of the dog I had the first 19 years of my life. He was half collie, one fourth German Shepard and one fourth coyote. He was my father's dog but he knew his job when I was little was to take care of me. He would be one step behind my father at all times and understand his verbal commands. Dad could sit on the stoop by the house and say Buck go get the cows. By the time Dad walked to the gate of the pasture a quarter of a mile away, Buck would have all the cows lined up at the gate, Dad would open the gate and Buck would have all the cows in the barn in their stalls by the time Dad got there. But when I was outside, he was by my side constantly. As I learned to walk he held my hand in his month and led me around and kept me from falling. But he sure would get a pitiful look on his face looking at my father because he had to baby sit me instead of being with him. When my children were small we live out in the desert in the Verde Valley and an Australian Shepard showed up at the house. We had her for the next fourteen years, very good with the kids. They could lay down on her, pull her ears and tail and she would just stay very still and take it. When ever we had kittens in the house, she would adopt them and take care of them. She only growled once in those fourteen years and that was when a dog catcher for the county walked down the street in front of our house.

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Your stories kindle memories of the dog I had the first 19 years of my life. He was half collie, one fourth German Shepard and one fourth coyote. He was my father's dog but he knew his job when I was little was to take care of me. He would be one step behind my father at all times and understand his verbal commands. Dad could sit on the stoop by the house and say Buck go get the cows. By the time Dad walked to the gate of the pasture a quarter of a mile away, Buck would have all the cows lined up at the gate, Dad would open the gate and Buck would have all the cows in the barn in their stalls by the time Dad got there. But when I was outside, he was by my side constantly. As I learned to walk he held my hand in his month and led me around and kept me from falling. But he sure would get a pitiful look on his face looking at my father because he had to baby sit me instead of being with him. When my children were small we live out in the desert in the Verde Valley and an Australian Shepard showed up at the house. We had her for the next fourteen years, very good with the kids. They could lay down on her, pull her ears and tail and she would just stay very still and take it. When ever we had kittens in the house, she would adopt them and take care of them. She only growled once in those fourteen years and that was when a dog catcher for the county walked down the street in front of our house.

My ole Frog Dog who now lays in a cold grave up on EagleNest in Co. was a great dog. I used him hard for 13 years. He died in is 15 year trying to keep the crows away form Magot my mountain guide horse who had died and the ground was to hard to bury him. Birds pick Frog to death as he stood gurad trying to keep them at bay. I got a book of stories about me and him, some day I might published them. The first one was when I had just gotten him, I was training him to ride in the bed of my pick up. Well one night that ole truck decided it need to run along and the barditch and flip over. Toss that pup out of the bed. After that if you pick him and put him in the bed, he would be in the window of the cab faster the the blink of an eye. Never ever would he ride in the bed again.:blush:

Patti Jury

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Colorado
Ray..

A smart dog would have NEVER got back in the truck with you at all...LMAO

You need to tape your stories...let someone else write them.

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida
Steph - thanks for the update! Sounds like he's going to be a good dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks