• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Identifying, Organizing & Inserting Digital Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
It is clear from the posts under Jo Ann's about the the Canon Elph that this is a problem for appraisers. The mere fact that it has been dealt with in so many different ways should be hint to appraisal software firms that it's a subject that needs attention.

Let's hope that some of them have been reading the posts.

Tom

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Since I use Day One software I use their Nova Image program to insert photos into my reports. I can access a photo anywhere in my system, whether it is a Polaroid or Kodak or Epson or Elph or MLS or somebody sent me and insert it into a report. But appraisers are very independent and each person has a method that is seems to be the easiest for them so it would be kinda hard for a software program to be one size fits all. Just look at the URAR! All the various softwares available and then all the variations that appraisers use with similar software.

B

Bemis Pownall

Call me paranoid
but id rather be incontrol of my pictures then a software vendor. I store my pictures on a totally different computer then I type on. Back up back up bcak up.
Just in case
you never know.

:icecream: [/code]

KD247

Professional Status
State
California
Tom,

I disagree - I wish the appraisal software firms would quit wasting their time with photo-management add-ons and use their resources perfecting form filling.

Most cameras are recognized by the computer as a virtual disk. Moving the pictures to the computer and organizing folders can be done easily using Windows Explorer. Placing the picture into the report can be done with simple copy and paste commands. Why make things any more complex with another layer of software?

If you insist on using Windows software, the only real bottleneck in the process is the Windows Picture and Fax viewer. Copying a picture requires two steps: Click Edit (opens the picture up in Microsoft Paint) and then copy the picture from the Paint program. But, when viewing your pictures in Internet Explorer you can right-click and select paste. (If you didn't know that you can browse your own hard disk with Internet Explorer - try it by typing C:/ into the address bar - where you normally type www.whatever.com . Click on a folder to open it, click on an image file to display it.)

But there are hundreds of better software programs for viewing and copying pictures. I use ACDSee. It's free and it is easy to browse, copy, and refer to pictures while typing an appraisal. There are lots of other image viewers, but this one is simple and has all the features I need.

If any appraisal software companies are listening, Quit worrying about the bells and whistles. Give us streamlined, dependable form filling software and we'll buy it!!!

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Koert is got it down pat.

I use sony cd camera, copy picture to a directory (say CD4)

Rename first and last pic by keeping assigned #'s of camera plus my file #(numerical since 1976, now 7605)

appraisal software is ACI, so when i bring up pages for pics right click on image, click on insert image then click on respective fille # (photo) in CD4.

Using explorer i can view CD4 in thumbnails, or #'s. Always have front, rear & street as last three pics, thus buy scrolling down many times do not even have to invoke thumbnails.

label comps same way only with street # as extension.

can use Windows search feature to find any of 6,000 pics.

cheap, in Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks