• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

If A I Wants Residential Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

peturner

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
If A I wants residential members it appears they have a funny way to attract and/or retain membership.
I M H O, if the A I spent as much time, money, and effort on lobbying for something that reasonably relates to the needs and wishes of residential folks as they have spent on:
1. The solicitation international members
2. Selling their Alternative Valuation Standards
3. Money taking policies
4. Lobbying States for Evaluation legitimization (A regulatory NIGHTMARE)
5. Attempting to de-legitimize TAF and ASC

then people might flock to support them.

How about Customary and Reasonable fees?
How about lobbying for appraisers rather than REVAA?

peturner

Professional Status
State
Virginia
IMO pushing alternative standards and evaluations is right up REVAA's alley......from what I have observed from up front and quite close.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
IMO pushing alternative standards and evaluations is right up REVAA's alley......from what I have observed from up front and quite close.
The alternative standards proposal (and correct me if I'm wrong) do not affect GSE/FHA/VA/USDA work or FRT work.
For the most part, they are orientated larger portfolio-type or internal financial reporting-type assignments.

I say "for the most part" because if the alternative standards were in place, I would have considered using them to perform a residential assignment that was to be used on an asset located in the U.S. where the litigation was occurring in Australia. The reason why is because the appraisal might have had to conform with the Australian/New Zealand equivalent of the USPAP. I could have simply cited the alternative standards as the basis for providing the appraisal and incorporated the ANZVPS as the development and reporting standard I followed.

There may be an argument against alternative standards, but taking away work from residential appraisals or impacting mortgage work isn't one of them! :cool:

As to your general comment, as a designated member of the AI, I mostly agree. The AI has completed positive lobbying efforts that benefit all appraisers and residential appraisers in particular. In my state, they successfully lobbied for the requirement to report tax stamps for transactions to 3rd party vendors. This is important because a buyer could request that the tax stamps not be reported and therefore the sales price would not show up on our public records search (you could get the tax stamp amount if one went to the courthouse, however). This improved the quality of the transaction data for all appraisers.

But, overall, the AI needs to do a better job at focusing on the residential segment. They are moving in that direction (on a national level) and some chapters are moving in that direction faster (they are more flexible/nimble in how they can react). So, your general sentiment is a valid one (IMNSHO).

Peter LeQuire

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Tennessee
But it's been going on for more than 20 years - remember international valuation standards and automated residential valuations? (I'm not opposed to either - FTR - but one is probably of no interest to a residential Member hustling to make a living, and the other is part of the process of making her irrelevant to residential valuations. Those institutional interests do little to interest non-IP appraisers.)

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
REVAA and AI makes sense. There is one poster on here that is an AI member and works for a REVAA member. Interesting.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
But it's been going on for more than 20 years - remember international valuation standards and automated residential valuations? (I'm not opposed to either - FTR - but one is probably of no interest to a residential Member hustling to make a living, and the other is part of the process of making her irrelevant to residential valuations. Those institutional interests do little to interest non-IP appraisers.)

One of the reasons I have always been a "Lone Wolf".

The Appraisal Institute recently ent all AQB Certified USPAP Instructors a request to write to the AI concerning this matter. i did so. The President of the AI answered back with a nice note. So far TAF has not responded since I copied them as well. My letter basically was, as that great American Rodney King once opined....."Can't we all just get along". I did state that as far as I am concerned we have enough standards. All one has to do is be a regular reader and poster here to know that many appraisers don't understand the standards we already have and more standards would just confuse them even more.

reviewbe

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Yes, alternative standards are being pushed, hard, by the AI as part of their fued with TAF. Here in California, it's back rearing its ugly head in the legislature;

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/...ll_id=201720180SB70&search_keywords=appraisal

Interesting that an amendment to rules for the 'healing arts' was used as a template?

Here's what you are exempted from if this legislation is passed;

(1) The limitation on restricted appraisal reports to intended users other than the client.
(2) Disclosure of prior services performed by the licensee on the property subject to the report.
(3) Reporting of prior three-year sales activity relating to the property subject to the report.
(4) Reporting of sale, options, or listings of the property subject to the report, as of the effective date of the appraisal or during the prior three years.
(5) Obligations relating to the oral communication of an estimate of the probable selling price of a property that is not part of an appraisal assignment, as defined in the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice effective January 1, 2016.
(6) Maintenance of copies of written appraisal reports unless the appraisal report contains a certification signed by the licensee.

There may be a good argument in favor of alternative standards, but 99.9% of appraisers will never have a need for them. More likely these loopholes will be used by the less scrupulous amongst us to further the desires of their unscrupulous clients.

To the OP's point, none of this is intended to have any effect on the residential appraisers, as they would be exempted from the exemptions. So, no wonder residentials are feeling a bit left out by AI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks