• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

If WE Won't Organize, Someone Else Will !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraNJ

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Time and time again I hear that "if only all appraisers would stick together" our numbers would allow us to dictate terms and conditions of things like fees, impartiality, turnaround, regulations, etc.

Looks like while we are watching the parade go by, the AVM Industry is doing just that.

Go to http://www.inman.com/

Click on "Todays Real Estate News" in the top left corner, then on the Second news article entitled "VALUATION GIANT FORMED"

Would appreciate any comments on the article----this is the first time I have gotten the feeling that the AVM's are getting the upper hand and managing to convince a lot of (our) clients that this is "progress" and the way of the future.

Julio E. Sune Jr. (FL)

Professional Status
State
Florida
Many lenders really believe that the AVM (Automated Valuation Model) will completely replace the real estate appraiser. To that I say a computer is just a tool, you need to know what to measure and how to measure. If loan underwriting standards are compromised by just doing things by computer—you put garbage in and you get garbage out—the end result is a big mess if there is a turnaround in the economy. Lenders could get stuck repossessing a residential property that is worth less than the amount it was loaned on.

Residential Appraisal Ser

Sophomore Member
Forum: The AGA has taken an active stand against the use of AVMs as a sole tool of valuation. AVMs were in the begining just another tool for the appraisers use in a valuation. We have been meeting with Congress on this matter for the past 2 years. Some of our meetings are resulting in new laws being introduced such as HR 4627. We are meeting with Fannie and asking hard questions as valuations effect our union pension funds. AFL-CIO has 3/4 trillion in pension funds in the Mae's and we as other investors are concerned about the intergerty of the colladoral values of assets.
The Guild was formed to protect both the appraiser and in protecting the appraiser the interest of the consumer is also protected. AVMs effect our 16.5 million members of AFL-CIO.

Support us and we will support you.

William Sentner
President
American Guild of Appraisers OPEIU AFL-CIO
[email protected]

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
8)

Bill:

I applaud your efforts, however, the idea of joining a union is not one I am very excited about for many reasons. However, I agree that we must do something and hold accountable those who control our economy, our country, and our state and local governments. I see some promise in the coallition or umbrella group of appraisal organizations as well as your efforts. Personally, I applaud anyone who is trying to make a difference and give a damn. I suggest that if anyone really cares about what is going on they should either join a professional organization or Bills union efforts. I finally did that, at age 65 after years of fighting to stay out of such organizations because of the discrimination I was forced to endure prior to licensing. Prior to the 90's if you were not designated, you were trash. I haven't forgotten that. However, strength is in numbers and I joined the NAIFA since it appeared they were most consistent with what I believe in. If you just can't join anything, at least write a letter a month to a Congressman, Senator, or your state representatives over some issue affecting your business. You can make a difference.

Don

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Yes, organization is the answer. The problem has been that the organizations that were supposed to be fighting for us has been stabbing us in the back. I include the AI and the Appraisal Foundation as it has supported such items as AVMs that put residential appraisers out of business. I have finally decided that the NAIFA probably has more to do with my appraisal practice than the Institute so I am going to change my affiliation. Further, I am going to join the Guild. This has been a hard decision to join a Guild as I am slightly right of Atilla the Hun and the Unions are to the left of Ted Kennedy. However, the Unions are not trying to put me out of business while the Appraisal Institute is.

Residential Appraisal Ser

Sophomore Member
Don: We never knock the Professional organizations for what they do. We do take them to task for promises that they can't keep. The biggest falacy is that they can do something in the political spectrum. Appraisers consist of 75,000 members nation wide. If all were to belong to a single organization such as NAIFA or AI or a umbrella that they are trying to form, they would not be effective. This is evidenced by the past record. If the organizations join together in their umbrella organization they would not be as large as AI was 10 years ago, and it would be the same old, waste of monies.

Reasons: Not enough clout in the vote area, organization on a federal and state level and most of all, not enough money. They is a difference between being paid lip service by the politicians or being listened to.

They listen to the Guild, because of AFL-CIO. When we attend a meeting with government officals or Fannie. They listen because we have the clout to act through dollars, or votes, whichever is needed.

One may say that they don't like unions for their various reasons. Most, I may add are on false information as unions act independently, as ours does. We are respected and listened to from both the outside and inside of the Federation. Thats is important in the case of appraisers.

We ask that professional organizations keep their antomney and join with us, in areas that we are strong and use those strenghts to survive. Professional organizations (Foundation members) should protect appraisers in ethics, teaching and areas of professionalism. They should do what they can do best and let us do what we do best. It is a win win for appraisers and the consumer.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
:(

Bill:

I am dissapointed. First you say that you don't knock professional organizations then you proceed to knock the hell out of them. I DO BELIEVE that there is as much clout in appraisal organizations and the umbrella group as there is in rat infested unions. Excuse me but I cannot and will not join a union that past indications point to gangster control. They are leftist, and I deplore them.

Enough said.

Don :evil:

A

Anonymous

Don,

Please don't think that the Guild is a bunch of leftist thugs. We are an organization of thoughtful professionals who realize that the only way to advance our interests is to align ourselves with the millions of Americans who are members of labor unions.

If every single appraiser in this country stood together on the Washington mall we wouldn't have the clout that the bankers and AVM sellers do. By joining a union appraisers can have the clout of all of organized labor. It's simple math, the unions have the power to help us and no one else cares about us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks