• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

if you inspect in snow country help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmoney32

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
South Dakota
just moved from southern california to south dakota and snow season is coming fast..can anyone help me with what you do when there is snow on the ground? do you start inside and then out to keep your shoes clean for the house? what do you wear? boots? any help is appreciated

wickedness1

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Ohio
We normally measure last. Get gel pens...regular pens sometimes freeze :)

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
I do start with inside first when it's muddy, or snowy. It's just a courtesy.

Last Jack

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Indiana
Keep boots in the car to change into for measuring. Keep them in the car cabin not the trunk unless you enjoy cold boots.

JRS at OBX

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I would immediately move out of snow country, but that's just me. :new_smile-l:

StephHigdem

Professional Status
State
Idaho
Be very careful on your exterior measuring; trip hazards are invisible under the snow. I've seen window wells all but disapper (unless, of course, you happen to step in in). Be sure to have an emergency kit in your car (extra clothes, hat/gloves, blanket/sleeping bag, some water & food, flares, etc.) in case you end up stuck in your car.

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Snow....

Being from the south I dont have that problem. When it does snow - which is rare - I just set reschedule the appt.

But what do you folks that work in snow country do about roofs? I imagine there are areas where they could be covered in snow for weeks/months on end. How do you address the roof if you can't see it??

todd

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Snow....

Being from the south I dont have that problem. When it does snow - which is rare - I just set reschedule the appt.

But what do you folks that work in snow country do about roofs? I imagine there are areas where they could be covered in snow for weeks/months on end. How do you address the roof if you can't see it??

todd
"Roof was covered with snow, and was not viewed at the time of inspection." And if you have the HO saying it's new, or an assessors card that says the roof is fantastic, you can add that information. If you have an MLS listing with non-snow photos etc etc...

Be very careful on your exterior measuring; trip hazards are invisible under the snow. I've seen window wells all but disapper (unless, of course, you happen to step in in). Be sure to have an emergency kit in your car (extra clothes, hat/gloves, blanket/sleeping bag, some water & food, flares, etc.) in case you end up stuck in your car.
I was doing a vacant property 2 years ago, and I was measuring the back and fell through snow 10 feet deep. It was a w/o basement, with about 10-15 stairs leading up to the patio. I almost had a heart attack, but I survived. And, I'm sure God got quite a bit of enjoyment watching me get out of that. I just hope he wasn't listening when I fell into it.... :)

hglenbetts

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I'm thinking of moving to a part of the country where the sun shines all year long, and the temps never fall below 65. Is anything special I should know about??:rof::rof:

Seriously, I do a simple exterior sketch for my room placement before I go in. When you get back outside, watch out for drift banks hanging over the roof too.

Be sure to take extra photos of what you're going to state you can't inspect due to snow.

This may sound silly, but you may want to practice completing your check list and sketch with your gloves on to find the right combination of gloves, pen, clip board etc. Everything is different when you're bundled up like a three year old going out for their first sled ride.

AnonApprsr

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Good point about gloves. I personally don't wear them but I have finger the size of salamis so I'm ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks