• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

If You Know The Borg From Star Trek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Stillman

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
In the show Star Trek, the Borg was a race of aliens that took over civilizations, which allowed them to grow even stronger, whereby they could continue to take over more civilizations. It was a domino effect. They seemed unstoppable.

The Borg Collective was the term used to define the collective intelligence comprising all members linked together into a hive mind via subspace transceivers and calling themselves the Borg. It was the de facto governing power, as the term was considered by individuals, over all Borg civilization.

I never followed the show that much. This seems to be very similar to what is happening to appraising. The Borg is the lenders, and nobody seems able to stop them from pretty much doing whatever they want to do. This is so fascinating, I changed my avatar. I think my new one more accurately depicts being an appraiser in 2017.

Instead of complaining, I think there is a lesson to be learned here. But, as I did not closely follow the show, I don't know how this seemingly unstoppable force was dealt with. Were they defeated?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Last edited:

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
You seem to be complaining (constantly) about what your clients want to buy and what some of your competition are willing to sell to them.

Sorry Bro, but technology has enabled the more efficient marketplace. The same technology that has enabled Ebay and Amazon have also enabled the AMCs and their lender clients. When appraisers compete, banks win. There is no stuffing the toothpaste of the inefficient marketplace back into the tube. Sears, KMart and JC Penney a good run but most of the consumers have moved over to the internet and are buying on price.

The story of appraisers organizing with each other and against their own clients would be more accurately described as Anime than Sci-Fi.

I've already been through 2 complete boom-bust cycles and am working on my third. Based on my experience I think this next RE bust is going to wash out more appraisers. If previous patterns repeat then it will be those who are the least adaptable who will be at greatest risk of getting starved out.

We are all making choices now that will lead to results later on.

Mark K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
The Borg 'assimilated' other species and civilizations and turned them into Borg, or destroyed them if they were unwilling to be assimilated.

I don't see residential appraisers being assimilated as much as being turned into drones. I think 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' is a more appropriate comparison.

To answer you question, the Borg weren't completely defeated but their method of traveling the galaxy assimilating other civilizations via trans-warp tunnels, stable wormholes more or less, was halted in the final episode of Star Trek Voyager when their system of wormholes was destroyed. Also, the Federation devised new weapons that penetrated the Borgs shields and killed off any that were a threat.

I know, kinda sad that I know that much about Star Trek and its spinoffs. But it has been around for over 50 years, I guess I've been assimilated.

Mark K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
If previous patterns repeat then it will be those who are the least adaptable who will be at greatest risk of getting starved out.

Exactly right.

Darwin didn't say that the strong survive; he said the most adaptable survive.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I have changed my client mix and the types of assignments I accept over the last couple years, partly in preparation for of the next bust. I will not get starved out.

Rick Stillman

Professional Status
State
Colorado
I've already been through 2 complete boom-bust cycles and am working on my third. Based on my experience I think this next RE bust is going to wash out more appraisers. If previous patterns repeat then it will be those who are the least adaptable who will be at greatest risk of getting starved out.

Risk of getting starved out. Let's pause and savor that thought. Hmmmm. Do you really think I'm complaining too much George? Sorry. Starving out greatly concerns me. But I do respect your experience and appreciate your observations, dire as they are.

The Borg 'assimilated' other species and civilizations and turned them into Borg, or destroyed them if they were unwilling to be assimilated.

I don't know - I think this hits the nail on the head pretty good. Who can resist the collective? They are evil and controlling. And so are the Borg...

I know, kinda sad that I know that much about Star Trek and its spinoffs. But it has been around for over 50 years, I guess I've been assimilated.

Not sad at all. There is far too much mindless drivel that you could be wasting your time watching. At least Star Trek stood out as thought provoking and intelligent - a rarity in TV land. And Star Trek was unique in that it wasn't a waste of time - we need mental stimulation and a break from work to recharge our brains. And who knows - it certainly parallels reality in our situation, so there may be much to learn.

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
The assimilation center is located on 15th St.

"resistance is futile"

Rick Stillman

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Exactly right.

Darwin didn't say that the strong survive; he said the most adaptable survive.

My thoughts exactly. That's what I was thinking when the Borg ultimatum of assimilate or be destroyed, and resistance is futile, starting forming in my mind. Too much similarity.

If only our country had some leadership, instead of the every man for himself mentality, and I got my golden parachute so I'll just retire when the doo doo hits the fan. That seems to play out far too often. Always have to have an exit plan in case you get caught - that's rule number one.

Maybe, like the mighty T Rex, our time has come. Maybe all we were destined to be was cubicle monkeys stamping reports and serving at the whims of the evil overlords. So much for all that college degree and professionalism theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks