• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Illegal to introduce myself as an appraiser if I'm a trainee?

Buster206

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Washington
Hi All!

So a reviewer has taken umbrage with me introducing myself as an appraiser to a property owner that I was confirming a sale with. I said essentially "Hi, my name is Buster, and I'm an appraiser working on..." The reviewer (we were discussing how I confirmed my comps), stopped me and said that it's illegal for me to represent myself as an appraiser if I'm not licensed, and as of right now has rejected our appraisal as having been done illegally, and has stated that he is going to report me to the licensing board for disciplining.

I don't think I mis-represented myself to the property owner of the comparable sale, I signed the report as a licensed trainee, and my supervising appraiser also signed the report. I did not generate any business under the pretense of being a certified appraiser, nor did I make any claim to the client that I was a certified appraiser.

Has this happened to anyone else? Thoughts?

BRCJR

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
I don't see it as illegal. You may need to be certain you are not misleading.

Joe Flacco

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
Strange reviewer and strange story. I don't understand how the way you introduced yourself to a homeowner would come up in a discussion with a reviewer.

Reactions: DTB

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Reviewer from where? He is asking how you confirm your sales? Is that a typical conversation to have with a reviewer? Sounds like someone with a Napoleon complex.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
State of Washington...

18.140.020 Use of title by unauthorized person. 18.140.020 Use of title by unauthorized person.

(1) No person other than a state-certified or state-licensed real estate appraiser may receive compensation of any form for a real estate appraisal or an appraisal review, except that a state-registered appraiser trainee may receive compensation from one or more supervisory appraisers or the supervisory appraiser's employer for appraisal assignments.

(2) Compensation may be provided for brokers price opinions prepared by a real estate licensee, licensed under chapter 18.85 RCW.

(3) No person, other than a state-certified, state-licensed real estate appraiser, or a state-registered appraiser trainee may assume or use that title or any title, designation, or abbreviation likely to create the impression of certification, licensure, or registration as a real estate appraiser by this state.

I'd say you're good to go. The so-called reviewer is a fool. Make a complaint to his or her supervisor.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Washington State

(3) No person, other than a state-certified, state-licensed real estate appraiser, or a state-registered appraiser trainee may assume or use that title or any title, designation, or abbreviation likely to create the impression of certification, licensure, or registration as a real estate appraiser by this state.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Saying only you are an appraiser does not mean you are holding yourself out as a CERTIFIED or LICENSED appraiser. Anyone can hold themselves out as anything but saying you hold certification would be a different matters. As Can quote above you are not holding out that you hold any designation or license. You merely state your occupation. If he files counter file a federal suit for interference with commerce.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks