• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Illegal to introduce myself as an appraiser if I'm a trainee?

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
I'd ask the reviewer a few questions. Is the 'revieweer' holding themselves out as a reviewer? What are their qualifications to produce a credible review? In their review did they meet USPAP Standards 1,2,3,and 4? And do they have a signed certification? Cause anything less and they are in violation of USPAP.

Buster206

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Washington
Strange reviewer and strange story. I don't understand how the way you introduced yourself to a homeowner would come up in a discussion with a reviewer.
So more on that: We were having a conversation because this job is in a rural county where distrust is high (of the government, of outsiders, etc.), and people don't answer their phones for numbers they don't recognize (nothing wrong with that), but they don't often return calls either, so it can be tough to confirm some details. This reviewer didn't think I was actually trying to get a hold of anyone, or that I was leaving messages, and that's how it came up.

Buster206

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Washington
State of Washington...

{...}

I'd say you're good to go. The so-called reviewer is a fool. Make a complaint to his or her supervisor.
Awesome! Thank you! I recalled as much, but I was hoping that someone else had experienced this sort of thing. Unfortunately, he IS his supervisor, so no one to complain to, really.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Buster,
Why isn't your supervisor handling this?

Buster206

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Washington
Buster,
Why isn't your supervisor handling this?
They are; I was asking if anyone else had experienced anything like this before, since it's kind of unusual (for me, at least).

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Awesome! Thank you! I recalled as much, but I was hoping that someone else had experienced this sort of thing. Unfortunately, he IS his supervisor, so no one to complain to, really.
Complain to the lender via their compliance department. I can't think of a reputable lender who would tolerate this sort of thing.

* Don't really do that. Just download the WA laws and save them just in case.

Last edited:

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Tell him you are actually Arthur, King of the Britons, and you won't take his insolence any longer.

This is your Friday Happy Hour answer. :leeann2:

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
you must have done a pretty good rural report since that was the only thing he could come up with.
in the old, old days you used to get a grade on every report from the FHA. the more repairs you had noted, you would get a higher grade.
i assume if you had no repairs, they thought you didn't look at everything.

was the reviewer's name napoleon, and you were just the next 'non appraiser' waiting in line for his guillotine.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
My attorneys book for dummies says you never told the owner you were an-appraiser and thats your story and your sticking to it - NOW SUE
Hi All!

So a reviewer has taken umbrage with me introducing myself as an appraiser to a property owner that I was confirming a sale with. I said essentially "Hi, my name is Buster, and I'm an appraiser working on..." The reviewer (we were discussing how I confirmed my comps), stopped me and said that it's illegal for me to represent myself as an appraiser if I'm not licensed, and as of right now has rejected our appraisal as having been done illegally, and has stated that he is going to report me to the licensing board for disciplining.

I don't think I mis-represented myself to the property owner of the comparable sale, I signed the report as a licensed trainee, and my supervising appraiser also signed the report. I did not generate any business under the pretense of being a certified appraiser, nor did I make any claim to the client that I was a certified appraiser.

Has this happened to anyone else? Thoughts?
The reviewer is a jerk because you and your supervisor both signed it and in my opinion you did nothing wrong but it does sounds like a heavy handed power hungry AMC reviewer. Did you tell your supervisor that he also asked you to raise the value ? Of course that's my last five recollections from the AMC reviewer from hell but I may be suffering from AMC PDST from repeated and extreme exposure to aversive details of the traumatic daily pressure to increase values. This caused me to become very good at sending certified letters informing the AMC's CEO that one of his reviewers is pressuring little people like me and since I have been disenfranchised by the AMC reviewer that has required me to go to more group therapy or to sites like the AF so I can vent otherwise I could go off the rails and I don't want to be seen on CNN that night thumping a reviewer with my old wood clip board.

If your supervisor has as much disdain as I do for heavy handed AMC reviewers he will spend $100 bucks to have his local backwater cheap & fast attorney send a certified letter to the AMC corporate office and their CEO detailing the pressure and threats the reviewer has made. Now you just turned the tables and guess what if teh "reviewer" turns you into the State Board you guys have the attorneys letter in your files and now you guys reply with that and bingo " dirt dog " reviewer is now on the ropes and who believes anything teh typical AMC reviewer says anyway : ) LOL

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks