• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I'm not buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelley Bahner

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Colorado
Why are all you certies convinced that licensed appraisers won't be able to do FHA appraisals beginning 10/08?

If that were the case, why is FHA still approving licensed appraisers when they're supposedly getting rid of them in less than a month??????????

Let's climb to the top of the tier to avoid the so-called flood. All the lower licensing levels are going to drown. Oh, brother. It sounds more like wishful thinking than fact.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Yes many Certs on here have been:

I hope they are wrong too.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I was told they are not adding any appraisers to the roster until a ruling comes down on this.

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I have two clients that send me FHA work. Since PA has no licensed level it doesn't mean squat to me. Seems you licensed guys sure have a chip on your shoulder.

TC

Common Sense

Professional Status
State
Maryland
I talked to a buddy of mine who is just licensed and he said if he is only given 6 - 12 months to continue to do FHA Appraisals. He said and I qoute "I am going to do as many as I can as long as I can at whatever fee" Reason being his conventional work is dead. I admit I was pretty ****ed off because I am not lowering my fee to compete with him or any other. I also could not argue with him about his decision either.

:sad::sad:

Kevin Keck

Professional Status
State
Ohio
I have two clients that send me FHA work. Since PA has no licensed level it doesn't mean squat to me. Seems you licensed guys sure have a chip on your shoulder.

TC

I know I do. :)

I'm scheduled to sit for my certified test soon. Even if I should pass the test on the first try I'm sure it will take at least a month (probably two) to get added back onto the FHA roster. It is likely bye, bye to several clients.

Life is unfair but it sure would have been nice to have more than two months notice of the change. Maybe there will be a grace period. Who knows? Apparently a team of HUD lawyers needs more than two months to figure out the law. :peace:

Indiana Jones

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Indiana
Seems you licensed guys sure have a chip on your shoulder.

TC

Only because a few on this forum have decided to judge us based on our license level without knowing us or ever seeing our work product.

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
I know I do. :)

Apparently a team of HUD lawyers needs more than two months to figure out the law. :peace:

Exactly...if the law was so clear cut what is the problem? :laugh:

Mike Phillips

Professional Status
State
Florida

TC

Ditto that. FL doesn't issue the Licensed category license level either - that has been the case for more than several years. Remarkably, it apparently didn't stop very many appraisers from becoming Certified; they stepped right up from Trainee to Certified. Of course, it was much easier under the old rules and more importantly - they had no choice in the matter.

I'm certain, had the Licensed category license been an option the huge over-supply of appraisers (in FL) would have been even more of a problem than it is now.

I wonder what some Licensed appraisers think folks like you and I have to gain from this debate. I'd like to think the truly career-minded among them really know the score but they are just remaining silent.

IMO the dominance of the AMC is the result of the huge oversupply of appraisers nationwide. Low barriers to entry caused this situation and it allowed the AMC to not only reap huge profits at the expense of appraisers but gain a permanent foothold in the marketplace.

I wouldn't even think about entering the appraisal field in any state that still issues the Licensed category license unless I was taking the commercial route.

Dennis

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Alabama
Only because a few on this forum have decided to judge us based on our license level without knowing us or ever seeing our work product.

The wost appraisals I've ever seen where by certified appraisers, therefore all certified appraisers are bad appraisers...

I find it currious that we slam state boards for not enforcing the laws, but we think then can correctly process applications. It took a year for me to go from trainee to licensed because of an understaffed board. Should have changed it to a certified app in the middle, but no telling how long that would take. Now the board has 'lost' parts of my cert application, mailed and faxed to the wrong address, although they also have the correct address, so now more than a year latter I am starting over with my certified application, albeit under the new rules, which they don't have the forms to comply with, so I can't re-apply.

That is why I don't care to upgrade. I think I could get a mail box in a state with recopriciy, get certified there, then apply in my home state again, I think I just may try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks