• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

I'm thinking of moving to a new state, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheappraizer

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
Not sure where to post this, but since it involves "creating" an appraisal business that doesn't currently exist, I thought here would be correct.
Got divorced last year. Just had to put the dog to sleep 2 months ago.
So, house bought for 3 people and 2 dogs now just has me.
Primary vendor "downsized" their roster of appraisers and after 7 years of solid work with them, I was one of the random cuts.
Now might be the time to move to another state.
Here (southeastern Michigan) times are tough.
Does anyone have any good suggestions as to where a "hot" location may be where appraisers are in short supply?
I have offers from friends in 7 other locations that have offered to let me stay with them while I try to get a foothold, but at the end of the day, I'd rather hit the ground running.
The 7 locales are metro Las Vegas, NV (specifically, Henderson)
near Phoenix, AZ
metro Atlanta, GA (specifically, Marietta)
just outside Orlando, FL
Honolulu, but they also have a place on Maui and one on the Big Island.
So, any information on any of those areas would be great, as would any suggestions of any other area that is "hot."
Thanks!
ETA: If you're swamped and have been for some time and need help, where are you located so I have an idea of where there is some consistent work.

Last edited:

JT1974

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I'd vote for Hawaii. I'm not sure if the real estate market is hot there, but the women sure are.

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
Before you move, I would suggest checking the reciprocity, as of 01-01-2008, with the state you are thinking of moving to. Some states do not have a Licensed Appraiser credential, and others that previously had reciprocity may no longer have it once the new regulations are in place.

As far as suggestions, don't come anywhere near downstate NY. If the number of appraisers was cut in half, there would still be too many.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Starting a new business now -- difficult almost anywhere, and the bottom is still ahead of us.
Look where primary Lenders are hiring - BofA is one, move and go "in-house"
Check out the Feds: http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/

Or... do what a friend of mine did 30 years ago.
Pick a place you want to live, move there, and then find a job or open a business.
At the least -- you'll be where you want to be.

Vegan702

Professional Status
State
Nevada
I doubt very seriously your first 3 choices are in short supply of appraisers, especially Vegas!

Ultraviolet

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Arizona
Got divorced last year. Just had to put the dog to sleep 2 months ago.
So, house bought for 3 people and 2 dogs now just has me.

If the "3" involves a minor child, I would recommend staying where you are (preferably within walking distance) and working at whatever job is available.

Life is short, jobs and careers come and go ... children need their parents ... :flowers:

Professional Status
State
Montana
Go West

If you can accept housing appreciation as a proxy of a healthy market for appraisers this is from the OFHEO:

2. The states with the greatest rates of appreciation between the third quarter of 2006 and the third quarter of 2007 were: Utah (12.9%), Wyoming (11.8%), Montana (7.7%), New Mexico (7.4%), and Washington (7.0%). The states with the largest depreciation for the same period were: Michigan (-3.7%), California (-3.6%), Nevada (-2.4%), Massachusetts (-2.3%), and Rhode Island (-2.2%).

3. For the third consecutive quarter, Wenatchee, Washington exhibited the highest four-quarter appreciation among the 287 Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) on OFHEO’s list of “ranked” cities. Annual appreciation in Wenatchee was 15.7 percent.

4. Other MSAs with the greatest appreciation between the third quarter of 2006 and the third quarter of 2007 were: Provo-Orem, Utah (14.4%), Grand Junction, Colorado (14.1%) and Ogden-Clearfield, Utah (14.0%). The MSAs with the largest depreciation for the same period were: Merced, California (-13.0%), Punta Gorda, Florida (-11.8%) and Santa Barbara-Santa Maria-Goleta, CA (-11.6%

You can see the whole press release at:

Link

Unfortunately Montana canceled all reciprocity so Montana is not an option unless wanting to start over.

Effective 12.4.2006 Reciprocity with all states has been suspended per board decision

We drew the draw bridge up over a year ago. Montana also has a comprehensive mentoring regulations that require mentors to be state approved after submitting reports to the State. Montana also requires more education hours than are required in other states.

Sorry about your dog. It may be time to visit your local Humane Society. It would be great to give some dog a nice home for Christmas. No telling what a lift in sprits will bring you.

Good luck.

marc paolella

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
If the "3" involves a minor child, I would recommend staying where you are (preferably within walking distance) and working at whatever job is available.

Life is short, jobs and careers come and go ... children need their parents ... :flowers:

I agree. If you are leaving your kid behind, well, it's not even worth discussing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks