• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Impact of Dog Park on Value in Adult Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonRico

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
I got a call from an aquaintance that bought into a new Adult Community, a real upscale type development. The stand-alone residence that he purchased has a nice wide common area that provided a buffer-zone along side of it. This was a major selling point when he bought that particular unit.

Well now that the development is filling up, the dog-owners in the complex are pushing to have a Dog Park and his common area has become the thorofare leading to what is now the de-facto Park. My pal has described the parade of pooches that go by his patio regularly. He told of a family gathering where the pooches are lifting thier legs in plain view of his kids. The hot dogs were not a popular menu item that day.

Intuitively, you would think that the noise, the odors, the burnt grass, and possibly the fleas would have a detrimental impact on value. But how can I prove that?? There are no re-sales yet so matched pairs are not available.

I was thinking of calling around to some of the Property Mgmt folks I've dealt with to see if they have come across any of this.

Do you learned people have any ideas on this one??

Abzntminded

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
This is exactly the kind of thing that ends up in a lawsuit against the HOA if they don't consider the impact on your friend's quality of life.

If he has neighbors that have similar concerns they should together contact the HOA. If that doesn't work (and it very well might), they should contact an attorney with the idea that there needs to be a letter sent to the HOA.

As far as value estimates, without hard data available your friend (or the attorney) can easily use local RE agents' opinions to back up any claim of lost value.

DonRico

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
There are now by-laws that limit the number of pets to 2 per household. But that could mean 2 parakeets or 2 Dobermans. The rules currently mandate that you clean up after your pooch. But as you can imagine the cumulative effect of Fido's Urine on this common grass is going to be a mess.

There are 347 units in this complex. If say half of them have pets, and half of those are dogs....there's going to be around 80 dogs making several passes per day by this guy's home.

He's telling me that the board has 5 members and that if the Bowser's ever gain a majority......they'll change the by-laws.

He's had a few realtors give their opinions, as realtors are wont to do. But I think he wants an appraisal, and I'm telling him it's going to be difficult to quantify any declines without re-sale history.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
In terms of "intuitive" impact: I have to drive my puppy 2 miles to the local dog park and I would pay more for my property if the location enabled me to walk rather than drive...kinda like some people sleep better with the sound of passing locomotive at night while the train tracks are anathama to others...

An analysis of the specific market reaction is the only appropriate determinant, and the "as is" value pertains to whether the issue does or doesn't exist in real rather than prospective time...

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
There are now by-laws that limit the number of pets to 2 per household. But that could mean 2 parakeets or 2 Dobermans. The rules currently mandate that you clean up after your pooch. But as you can imagine the cumulative effect of Fido's Urine on this common grass is going to be a mess.

There are 347 units in this complex. If say half of them have pets, and half of those are dogs....there's going to be around 80 dogs making several passes per day by this guy's home.

He's telling me that the board has 5 members and that if the Bowser's ever gain a majority......they'll change the by-laws.

He's had a few realtors give their opinions, as realtors are wont to do. But I think he wants an appraisal, and I'm telling him it's going to be difficult to quantify any declines without re-sale history.

Not in a thousand years would I venture into this mine field. Barkers against non-barkers, dog ****ing on a green area, 347 units and have have barkers and can have two barkers. Not a chance in H would I risk it. This one I would back out on. Or charge at least 10,000+ beaver pelts.

DonRico

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Ah, Ray....I don't think there's that many pelts available. These are retirees, albeit well-heeled ones. I think I'm just going to recommend that he compile all these Realtor Opinions in writing and get them read into the HOA record.

When you stop and think about it, it really is a shame. But that's the downside of living near a Common Area. The guy buys a premium lot with what he thinks is a buffer zone.....and he ends up in Doggie Central.

Nancy in Friday Harbor

Professional Status
State
Washington
Has there been a careful read of the CC&R's? If it's a well designed development, the CC&R's should spell out what uses may be made of the common area/green belt. Unless the use for a dog park is spelled out as an allowed use, they may have a case. If there is wording to effect that all dogs must be on leash, etc etc....then the dog owners would have to get a change made to the CC&R's.

If I remember from my time on an HOA board in SoCal (yes, it was a very very long time ago), a change to the CCR's that might effect utility and value required the signoff by everyone's lenders.

You might be able to find examples of other condo / PUD developments where a similar change took place or find examples of sales of houses on green belt/common areas with and without dog parks and measure any difference in a matched pairs exercise......but it's going to be really time consuming. I'd be guessing that to be sufficiently compensated for the time it would take to do a defensible job (because I' d think this might end up in front of a judge), Ray's number of beaver pelts is probably in the ball park.

Oh, and I'd tell your clients to start taking pictures of dogs and their owners on the sidewalk/thoroughfare.

Nancy

Tim Schneider

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
The thereputic effect of dogs for the eldery is well documented. They should put aside their canasta game and realize how lucky they really are.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
The thereputic effect of dogs for the eldery is well documented. They should put aside their canasta game and realize how lucky they really are.

I agree with Tim. I live in a senior development and I have a Jack Russell Terrier who absolutely LOVES everyone in this 180 unit project. I walk him and carry two plastic bags with me. He lifts his leg on every bush along the path. They somehow survive. Almost everyone in the development knows him by name and they always smile after one of his friendly encounters with them.

My late neighbor was a Viet Nam vet and spent the last 5 years of his life in a wheel chair. When I first moved in he became enamored with Ziggy and often asked if I would leave the dog with him for a few hours. He could not walk him because of the wheel chair so when I started getting busier with work, another neighbor would take Ziggy for walks and keep him while I was gone. Weeks would go by between his visits to my wheel chair bound neighbor. That neighbor passed away recently and I feel kinda guilty that Ziggy and I did not visit more often. Not all dogs are as people oriented as Ziggy, but most are always a willing listener and companion. AND, they never complain or talk about their own aches and pains.

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida
DonRico-

I agree that your friend now has more than he bargained for. If I'd bought what I thought was a buffered lot only to have it turn into main st I'd be peeved as well.

That being said, for every privacy lover, there are probably an equal number of busy bodies who would love the daily parade.

Good luck on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks