• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Importance Of Discussing Comparables With Real Estate Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucbruin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
"2) Design/Floor plan of home- While two homes may have the same square footage, the design and floor plan can impact a buyer’s preference. In my conversations with real estate agents, I’ve observed that two-story homes with the fourth bedroom on the lower level are less appealing to a home with all four bedrooms on the second level."

https://www.appraisalbuzz.com/importance-of-discussing-comparables-with-realtors/

I don't know if I agree with the above.
With baby boomers sprinting towards old age...
A 1st floor bedroom should be a plus....

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
My wife is helping friends by a new house and they need 4 bedrooms upstairs because they have 3 kids. Three bedrooms upstairs is a deal breaker for them.

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
A additional main level bedroom is a positive but not when you lose a room upstairs for the style. Anyways when you have a house with main level bedroom it is a good idea to include comps that also have a main level bedroom.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Second floor is a good place to die in a fire. I would never own a multistory dwelling. That's one preference. And I agree. I can tick off a bunch of folks who moved out of their 2 story house as they aged due to knee surgery, arthritis, etc.... no fun. Likewise, I don't want a small child access to stairs because they will fall sooner or later and I know one 2 yr old who broke a leg falling down the basement stairs.

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
"2) Design/Floor plan of home- While two homes may have the same square footage, the design and floor plan can impact a buyer’s preference. In my conversations with real estate agents, I’ve observed that two-story homes with the fourth bedroom on the lower level are less appealing to a home with all four bedrooms on the second level."

https://www.appraisalbuzz.com/importance-of-discussing-comparables-with-realtors/

I don't know if I agree with the above.
With baby boomers sprinting towards old age...
A 1st floor bedroom should be a plus....

But not for buyers with small children--they would like to be on the same floor as the kids.

residentialguy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I found that most of the new plans for two stories have the master bedroom on the main level. Keep the kids on the upper level... if there's a fire, you can always make more :eek: (joking, of course)

Last edited:

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
If I were to buy, I’d go for first floor master to separate office from living and get vaulted ceilings. They do seem to be falling out of favor lately though

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
yep. like everything else for us it is market specific, and buyer preference gets thrown into the mix as well. arguments for both sides have already been posted in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks